Auotpilot

I'm looking to add Autopilot to my 18' boat but have not found much helpful info. My boat is 18' O/B with Hydraulic steering.

Don't need all the bells and whistles, just something to hold course and be nice to make heading changes with remote.

Appreciate any info.

T fittings and hoses were included I know the units are not cheap but I did install myself I just removed from my old boat and transferred all to my new and will seatrial all hydraulic and electronics on Sunday the money is in the screen size you don’t need carbon just Hds gen 3 and look into I believe gen 2 will work but not positive

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

I have the lowrance auto pilot and I’m running hds 7 gen two touch electronics. No problem. The auto pilot came with everything I needed to install on my 2016 starweld. It’s worked great so far. Just need to re adjust the virtual rudder and re commission the point 1 ap gps sensor now that I’ve ran it a few times and got the rest of the air out of the system. 

2 hours ago, Buzzbait said:

Can't seem to find the video, do you have any pictures?

It may not be workable with hyd steering. Probably not.  Mine had a push pull cable I had to disconnect, then connect the AP. It worked great, gave me heading steering which is all I needed. For $200 some bucks, couldn't beat it. Now I have a different boat, got last summer, with  hyd steering. I got the Lowrance Outboard AP for it. Love it. But way more money at $1000. Plus you need an HDS 3, or maybe a HDS 2 with correct  software. I worry the Fishfinder will go out, then I have no AP control. From what I hear the Lowrance are throw aways when they fail, no repairs. But, it works flawlessly. so far. I searched Raymarine ST 1000 in this old baot. 3rd page I think. here is link if it works:

Edited by garrymny

What gen lowrance unit are you going with. If you go gen3 it will already have the newest software that’s compatible with the lowrance auto pilot. If you get gen 2 hds like I have I had to update the software from lowrance website. It was very easy. Simple download to a Sd card and the lowrance unit auto uploads it if you fallow the YouTube instructions.

Dont know what kind of boat you have or if this would work for you, but this could be another option.  I have a 19' deep vee with

a MotorGuide xi 5 36 v. trolling motor on the bow.  It will hold a heading, hold a set speed, and even record a track that it will follow later, even in wind and waves. I use it just to steer and use my 9.9 kicker for propulsion.   Batteries last 8 to 10 hrs.  Minn Kota makes several motors that would work too

Going with the new Lowrance Carbon, according to the web site, it's the 5th gen. Here is a cut and paste in there words, from the site.

HDS Carbon is actually the fifth version of the popular HDS-series. Before it came HDS Gen 1, HDS Gen 2, HDS Gen 2 Touch and HDS Gen 3. HDS Gen 2 Touch marked a new area of how Lowrance run their model-updates, since it was released shortly after HDS Gen 2 and the two lived alongside each other for a year before HDS Gen 3 came. Again HDS Gen 2 Touch was kept alive alongside HDS Gen 3, and we will now probably see this pattern repeated with HDS Gen 3 living on for another year or so alongside HDS Carbon.

Is the lowrance outboard pilot for outboards only or will it work with an I/O hydraulic assisted cable steer Mercruiser. (Penn Yan)

Just, I have mine hooked to my main (outboard) with a steering rod connected to my kicker. EV-100. Works flawlessly.

Thanks for the replay is that unit just a 1 degree to 10 degree turn on the buttons or can that be tied into your GPS unit and follow the course you enter in it .I like the lowrance auto pilot but not sure if I want to spend money on new fish finder as well .I'M thinking I'd be happy with just a basic autopilot with the 1 to 10 degree turning option on the controls

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just, yes it has the dial on the P70 which is the controller for the auto pilot which allows you that +\- degree change. I also have it connected to a ray marine depthfinder Aseries that allows me to route and steer a course through it but to tell you the truth I never use that feature. I usually hit auto and fish. Set it and forget it, the Ronco way lol.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:10 AM, VooDoo said:

Dont know what kind of boat you have or if this would work for you, but this could be another option.  I have a 19' deep vee with

a MotorGuide xi 5 36 v. trolling motor on the bow.  It will hold a heading, hold a set speed, and even record a track that it will follow later, even in wind and waves. I use it just to steer and use my 9.9 kicker for propulsion.   Batteries last 8 to 10 hrs.  Minn Kota makes several motors that would work too

I do the same.  Minn Kota Terrova 72" shaft with Ipilot.  I use it as autopilot and main motor as primary thrust keeping it pointed straight.  It works great in up to 2'ers or slightly better.  Main motor is a 115 yamaha.  I installed the VTS switch so I can adjust speed in 50 rpm intervals up to a certain point.  Above that point I can still adjust with the main throttle and some more out of the trolling motor.   Aside from the autopilot it allows me to use it as a straight trolling motor if I'm not deep water trolling.