Lower unit, HELP!!!

Well finally got a chance to get "this old boat" out. Pulled it out of hibernation only to find oil dripping down the skeg of my '92 90 hp force motor. Some how water was trapped behind my prop and cracked the unit. The guy in big flats said he can sell me and install a lower unit with a broken skeg for ~$600 plus installed with a new impeller. Sounds like a decent price? Will thw broken skeg affect anything and how hard is it to replace one? I am supposed to go on vacation to Sodus bay next Saturday for a week. Great time for this to happen, but with my luck lately I'm not supprised!!! I need to tell the guy in the morning to go ahead or forget it. Anyone want a nice Calkins trailer for cheap with a free boat? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 8:24 PM, floatfisher said:

Well finally got a chance to get "this old boat" out. Pulled it out of hibernation only to find oil dripping down the skeg of my '92 90 hp force motor. Some how water was trapped behind my prop and cracked the unit. The guy in big flats said he can sell me and install a lower unit with a broken skeg for ~$600 plus installed with a new impeller. Sounds like a decent price? Will thw broken skeg affect anything and how hard is it to replace one? I am supposed to go on vacation to Sodus bay next Saturday for a week. Great time for this to happen, but with my luck lately I'm not supprised!!! I need to tell the guy in the morning to go ahead or forget it. Anyone want a nice Calkins trailer for cheap with a free boat? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Skeg on outboard motors is only there to help you steer them, if that's not a concern? Go for it?   It also acts like an Airplanes rudder to keep tracking when trying to drive in a straight line. 

The Skeg also provides protection for the Prop to keep you from bending the crankshaft when you hit logs, rocks and other things.

May the Force be With You.   Force Outboards are the old Chrysler with the name changed to avoid the bad mojo.  I have had a couple 15 HP Force motors that were Merc/Force and also branded as Gamefishers.  The nice thing is they were really cheap brand new and disposable  as in No maintenance required, it is cheaper to buy a new one.

They do have some interesting uses.

image_95755.jpg

• Like 1