Rough Water Tactics- What works?

Hello all. My Buddy is coming from Idaho to fish the 21st through 29th. Looks like we may have to fish some rough water. I Never had much luck with anything over 2 footers, although I try. Don't know why. It seems really hard to fish divers when its rough, I do know that. Any tips you can provide will be appreciated. I think it kills the bite, or he presentation of my lures. Thanks.  

If the wind is east play golf. If it’s west run riggers with short leads and a couple dipsys. Rough water can be great.
Don’t fight the waves. Run what’s comfortable, pull, run back on plane at a reasonable speed and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 3

10 hours ago, whaler1 said:

If the wind is east play golf. If it’s west run riggers with short leads and a couple dipsys. Rough water can be great.
Don’t fight the waves. Run what’s comfortable, pull, run back on plane at a reasonable speed and repeat.

Real good summation. go with the flow and don't try to fight Mother Nature:yes::smile:

• Like 1

We had 1 day that was rough out of our last trip. I actually lost my balance and fell. We were trying to stay an the active fish and quickly realized we needed to pull everything in and run to our starting point and fish down hill. This created a problem our down speed was to fast even with bags out now we have no control. So we said screw it tomorrow's another day. Its no fun at all fishing especially with kids. No fish worth putting kids or yourself in harm's way.

• Like 1

I find tossing my trolling bags takes a lot of the rock and roll out of the waves, they make the boat cut the water. even if you don't need them to get your speed down, toss your bag's in and increase your RPM's this will also give you back some boat control in the ruff stuff. JMT.

thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, looks like I will have no choice but to fish an east wind component while my friend is here., at least some of the days. Looks like out of olcott, sat and sunday are already no-goes. 

See what it looks like. Stay in tight, 100 feet or less. If it’s too rough you can still have a great weekend.
Find a plan B, maybe pike and bass somewhere inland and close.

Usually we fish the wind sheltered bays it makes for a pleasant trip on crappy days. No mater what the wind direction there’s always safer harbors or bays to fish instead of the main lake. You will have to trailer your boat but I’d rather do that than sit in the cabin wondering what the hell to do next.

If you have an eastern wind, don't try to fish the west end. Go to the east end  or Oswego instead. I like to run the trough of the waves down wind and fish less lines. Your main problem in rough weather is too many lines in the water.

Edited by rolmops

I use Amish bags out either side when its rough.  Takes a ton of pitch and roll out of the boat and sucks it down on the water.  I have an Avenger and it has a 9.5' beam and the wide beam helps a bit too plus being a low slung boat and that helps in the wind.