Wind Forecast Saturday 7/21

What are you guys thinking of the forecast for tomorrow morning? It says Southeast 10-15 until an afternoon shift to E/NE. Anyone think it'll be too rough from 5am-11am? My rule is typically anything from a variation of a South wind is typically a go. Don't want to get up at 3:30 am if there is a more accurate forecast out there....

15 minutes ago, Fat Trout said:

too rough depends on your boat size and how far out you are going.  Find a Noaa weather bouy closest to where you fish and check it before  you get up.

Exactly what i do everyday before fishing.  Multiple bouy's & wind forecast sites thou...

Listen to NOAA radio for area too.

jetsled

Thanks guys that was very helpful. I usually use Sailflow, Windy.com, and NOAA as my go-to's.

NOAA is calling for 1-3 feet but that is the forecast for the full day. I'm going to assume the early am forecast will be 1-2's and will build to 3's with the shift to East in the PM.

All good tips but to be honest, you really will be surprised from time to time. Take yesterday. Lake was calm. Used NOAA, web cams etc. get out on the lake, not bad. As we are heading out to set up I see white birds all over the place heading for us. Wait! Those aren’t birds, there white caps! Lol. Here comes the NE wind that made it miserable. Ugggg. In no time it went from flat lake to 2 footers in a matter of minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

33 minutes ago, Frogger said:

All good tips but to be honest, you really will be surprised from time to time. Take yesterday. Lake was calm. Used NOAA, web cams etc. get out on the lake, not bad. As we are heading out to set up I see white birds all over the place heading for us. Wait! Those aren’t birds, there white caps! Lol. Here comes the NE wind that made it miserable. Ugggg. In no time it went from flat lake to 2 footers in a matter of minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Couple Saturdays ago, flat calm morning, forecast for 5-6mph W winds. Mid morning wind picked up out of no where 10-15mph, 3footers in a matter of minutes. I raced out at 30+mph was doing 6mph getting beat up on the way back in. Got half way back in, wind stopped and lake went to light chop, so we threw lines in and started fishing again... never seen anything like that before.

I have written off tomorrow (Saturday) as being too rough for enjoyable fishing. Based on weather underground  (link from the LOTSA website) and NOAA Marine forecasts. 15 to 20 MPH seems questionable. Theres only 2 buoys I know of, one near niagara river and one 20 miles ssw of rochester.......does anyone have  a link to more buoys? Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Smat64 said:

this is from NOAA for the open lake near Wilson. NOAA 1' = 2' waves to me.

349195473_ScreenShot2018-07-20at11_37_08AM.thumb.png.87638f5f0d48f03b019b48bbe12bee59.png

WOW where do I find this product on the NOAA site?

• Like 1