Kicker Auto pilot

Xxx

I’m seriously considering purchasing a TR1 Gold, was wondering where the best place to purchase is and is the auto pilot handheld device separate?? Kinda conflicting stories as I read different places to choose from. Those of you that have this what’s your thoughts and personal experiences with your choice. Thanks a lot for your time and advice. Pap.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:14 AM, rusty1034 said:

Sorry Pap, I don't know anything about the TR1. I had a Raymarine EV100 autopilot installed on my Starcraft - I love it. I do a lot of solo fishing.

Good luck.

Rusty

Do you know if it’s for the kicker or the main and what was the cost?? Hopefully you could shed a little as to what model you used. I was hoping to find one that I didn’t have to run via a sonar unit. Thanks for any help.

Pap...I just purchased a EV150 by Raymarine and it controls my 150 hp main motor and 9.9 hp kicker motor. i have kicker attached to main motor by a threaded rod and hem joints. I used yesterday for first time and it was very windy and i was trolling 2.0-2.4 mph and it kept course extremely well. I am using stand alone..not tied into my graph as my graph is a Garmin 7610xsv.   

Do you know if it’s for the kicker or the main and what was the cost?? Hopefully you could shed a little as to what model you used. I was hoping to find one that I didn’t have to run via a sonar unit. Thanks for any help.

Pap,

Here is a pix of the components in the EV 100.

IMG_0049.thumb.PNG.19275ab30353231a5075892a0be8f1b7.PNG

The gray “Raymarine” control box is mounted in my glove box. The round disc is mounted near the bow of my boat, inside, exposed to the sky. It acts as the “antenna “. The display unit is mounted near my helm. It is used to control the unit. Mine is set to display a compass heading in degrees. The other piece is the hydraulic pump. It is hooked into the hydraulic lines that are used to turn the main motor. My kicker is attached by a rod to the main.

The one on my boat is not connected to my sonar or gps (Hummingbird). I simply use it to go in a straight line. Making turns using the unit is done by turning the knob on the display unit.

I think they are about $1300 for the full assembly. I paid about $600 to have it installed.

If I had to do it again, I would have bought the EV 150, but they weren’t available when I bought mine. The 150 has a larger hydraulic pump. The 100 works fine for me, but I’m a “bigger is better” kind of guy.

If your near Watertown, come and take a look at the one on my boat.

Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't have the TR-1 as I also have an ev 100 on my boat. The Raymarine evolution series is designed for boats with hydraulic steering.

I have always heard guys speak very highly of the TR-1 though. Hodges marine has it for $2048 and the remote is pictured with it. It is possible that garmin sells a kit without the remote at a different price. Raymarine sells kits with and without the drive unit in their evolution series which makes a big difference in the price of the kit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a TR-1 Gold and it works really well.  It's on a 25' Penn Yan with a  T9.9 High Thrust Kicker and I give it a real work out but it gets the job done most of the time.  If the T9.9 isn't up to the task against the wind and currents I will drop in a couple trolling bags, start up the main motor at an idle and still let the kicker steer with the TR-1 and fine tune my speed.  The TR-1 is very reactive and is constantly making the needed course corrections so you need to have good batteries and a charging system because the TR-1 doesn't like low voltages and the pump will use a lot of juice on windy days.

The TR-1 Gold base package includes a wired hand held control, a sensor ball, hydraulic cylinder and the pump.  You need to also get the correct mounting  kit  and throttle kit for your kicker motor model.  Garmin also offers a separate wireless hand held control as an option.  The installation is not too bad but getting everything tuned correctly to your boat is the key to how well the whole system works. 

My Penn Yan has rotary cable power steering and I have no regrets going with the TR-1 for my auto pilot.  If it had hydraulic steering I would've looked seriously at installing an ap system for my main motor and connecting the kicker to it with either an tie bar or a separate hydraulic cylinder. 

Hope this helps you make your decision on an auto pilot, once you get one you will never want to fish without one again,

Thanks for all the info guys!! I really appreciate it. What I want to do is get rid of the bar!! And have the kicker do the steering. I have the EZ Steer system now, but I can’t put the bar on before I leave because even if I could roll the kicker in towards the center of the boat it’s to much of a angle and the rod binds so I snapped an end off and now I have a longer one and that one I have the brass pin bent that hooks in to the main motor. I also have my kicker made fast to my swim platform with a bracket I made from the Adventure Marine comp. They give you all the dimensions. LOL so my situation is a little different. I have to climb out on the swim platform to hook the rod up, not bad in the summer but early spring and fall it gets a little nerve racking to say the least especially with 2-3 fters or better. This is why I want to drop my kicker down and have my Merc. 15hp with a 12 amp charging system which keeps my batteries full with 2 cannon riggers 3 sonars going a radio and a stand alone GPS and a light bar. I don’t use the light bar other than the spring eye fishing. So I’m looking for autopilot for the kicker itself. Thanks again guys maybe now you can see why I want to get rid of the EZ Steer Rod.

I am installing a python steering system in my boat this week. It’s a remote control steering system. You get a hand held wireless remote so there is no steering rod. I’ll be testing it this weekend and let you know how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Pap...do you have Seastar hydraulic steering?...if you do, they sell Sierra HP6083 SeaStar Tie Bar Hardware Kit...then buy 1/2" heim joints on e-bay for about 10 bucks a piece...buy 1/2 stainless threaded rod. You will have to buy or fabricate a bracket for kicker...mine is a Mercury and I bought bracket from them. Mount bar with heim joints to main motor and kicker motor with hitch pins and you are done. You are mounting inside boat..not outside boat like the crappy EZ steer rod. Motor will raise and lower independently of each other and will work with autopilot. You can remove rod in about 30 seconds or less. I keep mine together at all times. Works great and was very reasonable in price. Any questions give me a shout...      

71OdADw3glL._SL1500_.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Love my TR-1 gold !!! Have had it on 2 different boats.My most important piece off trolling equipment. Calumet Marine is where I bought last one. They walked me thru the install over the phone, Theres some on water programmig too. Ask for Frank, he'nos the owner. No NYS sales tax helps.

PAP I am going Wed. morning with Ozip out of wilson. I have the ray marine auto pilot on my boat. I can go over it with you if you want . I know your boat is usualy there.

Thanks for the video Krystain!! I’m looking to use a stand alone for a kicker motor autopilot so I don’t need to use the connection bar. For the reasons I can’t use a EZ steer system when I need to tilt my kicker up to go out or in the bar doesn’t allow enough movement in the hiem ends to allow me to tilt up the kicker in the up and locked position!! 

Pjprod this system sounds like it might work, I just can’t figure out how this system works, but I’ll keep searching til I find something, does this system go inside The transom or on the outside of the transom?? Thanks again guys. PAP.

Hey Pap the whole system is hydraulic I install right behind the steering wheel and unit controls the power steering pump  to operate autopilot it's very easy as you go with low speed press button autopilot and we'll go That direction to disengage press standby and will shut it off then you could use steering wheel

20 minutes ago, Krystian said:

Hey Pap the whole system is hydraulic I install right behind the steering wheel and unit controls the power steering pump  to operate autopilot it's very easy as you go with low speed press button autopilot and we'll go That direction to disengage press standby and will shut it off then you could use steering wheel

O so the pump in the kit activates the power steering?? I’ll have to watch it again, but I still have to have the bar between the motors?? I don’t have power steering all the way I guess they call it power assist, I have a hydraulic cylinder in the rear of the boat hooked to transom support housing??

Edited by pap

Pap...here is my set-up. It works flawlessly with my Raymarine autopilot. Autopilot controls hydraulics and turns both motors at same time with rod in place. Both motors raise independent of each other with rod and heim joints. Buy 1/2 heim joints on e-bay and 1/2 threaded rod stainless. Cut to fit... attach heim joints and you are all set. Very inexpensive to make and simple. Will need kicker bracket as seen in picture....I bought directly from merc and will need HP6083 SeaStar Tie Bar Hardware Kit .   

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Thank you so much for your time and effort to take the pics, I see know how it works that’s really cool!! Can I use or do they make something like that for a I/O that’s what I’m dealing with. LOL then my kicker is mounted on my swim platform which sets behind the outdrive. Thanks again!! PAP

Pap, I see what your saying about hooking up the ez bar to your kicker and the pain in the butt it is. It would seem to me that you would really want the AP on your kicker with that TR1 option, anything else just doesn’t seem to get you away from monkeying around with the bar. I’m not familiar with them but from what guys say that have them love them.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United