Brined cut bait

I am a happy fisherman again. I just received an answer from the DEC concerning my using cut bait I make from fish I bought at the fish market. According to the DEC brining and freezing these fish for use as cut bait on Lake Ontario is perfectly legal as they are considered preserved. And they don't have to be certified. Back in the cut bait fishing business!!! :)

They were overboard on this at first but with good reason.

I heard someone did some test with fish that tested with the VHS and after they were in the brine for some time over two weeks. It did NOT show up in the test the next time..............

I have seen a different interpretation and if I'm reading it the right way, it has to be commercially labeled as brined, not homemade. Don't want to start a debate, trying to make sure everyone's covered. Here's the link.

http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=17197 This is a response from DEC for using salted/brined minnows on the SR.

I was very concerned about the legality of making my own cut bait. This answer from the DEC seems to be iron clad. The bait after brining is considered "preserved" , which puts it in a different catagory.

If anyone has any questions, the person that contacted me with this info is:

Lt. Mike O'hara

NYS Dept. of Environmental Cons.

Div. of Law Enforcement 8th Floor

625 Broadway Albany NY 12233

Email [email protected]

Just like every other law it is up to the officer writing the ticket most likely, (he can't be WRONG or use common sense). You'll end up being better of discussing a ticket with the DA. I would imagine the chances of the stoping a boat 2 miles offshore to check their cut bait for a reciept or somting are pretty rare.

• 7 years later...

I was very concerned about the legality of making my own cut bait. This answer from the DEC seems to be iron clad. The bait after brining is considered "preserved" , which puts it in a different catagory.

If anyone has any questions, the person that contacted me with this info is:

Lt. Mike O'hara

NYS Dept. of Environmental Cons.

Div. of Law Enforcement 8th Floor

625 Broadway Albany NY 12233

Email [email protected]

Here is the original post with all the information  Let me know if you have any luck with your homemade bait .

what is the store bought fish you prefer to use? Never tried it but willing to give it a try, its a little more rewarding using home made stuff and it works

I used sardines from the fish market . First I filleted them and then made the cut bait strips from the fillets . I then brined them in kosher salt over night in the fridge . It caught fish with them , but they tend to be soft and not very durable I tried frozen smelt , but its hard to find them big enough to make the strips . I have found a source for herring and plan to try my hand ay brining these .

I'm down by the Hudson River and can get fresh herring this time of year... I fish the eastern end near sackets harbor... I'll be up next weekend if anyone close wants me to bring some up. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Also, what do people's brines consist of? How long do you soak em? I'm thinking of brining, vacuum sealing and freezing for later. Does this sound like a good idea? Thanks.

Edited by greenboatluke

Sounds like a great idea  !  Please keep us posted on how your home made cut bait works for you . Be sure to use non iodized salt for your brine. I add salt to water till it won't hold any more in suspension . 

Edited by chinook35