My moto and I’m sure most others is to never leave someone stranded.

I would always pull lines and tow someone in. Doesn’t matter.

My brother in law and I were heading out of Henderson Harbour last year when a guy turtled a sailboat. We never even thought about anything else but helping.

I have been towed in twice. Prop shafts broke both times.

I’m glad you got in safely.

Mitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That is the ethics of boating. But not all agree. About 7 years ago i was testing a 17 lund. All was well in the beginning. Then motor died and would not start. I was only 2 maybe 3 hundred yards out side of genesee pier. Wind picked up and was sending me towards the rocks. I was flagging and and trying to get ppls attention. A charter boat captain came over just to tell me he can't help because he was on a charter. Off he went. A lady from shore called it in. I know who this captain is. He is from port of Rochester. I will never forgive him. Sheriff boat got to me just in time. Hope all stays safe out there. Happy fishing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I forgot I had to leave a guy once. We got to the launch in Punta Gorda Florida. Wind was howling and waves were as large as I’ve ever seen them in 15 years of visiting the area. We are just about to launch when a guy comes up and asks me if we are going out on the harbour. I said we were just going into the canals to do some snapper fishing. He asked me if I would go out and rescue his son in a flats boat. His motor wouldn’t start and he was using a power pole as an anchor. Every wave was moving him further onto the flats about a mile from the launch.
I have a 21’Mako CC. I tossed my truck keys to my father and said I would go out and see what I could do.
I have been in the water rescue program with the fire department where I work for 10 years at that point.
I looked to see what I had on board.
I found all of what I needed and then came to my senses. My boat drafts 18” and the waves were running 3-4 ‘.
I apologized to the man who asked me to go out but I didn’t want to be part of the problem. Had I gone out I would have been bouncing off of the bottom where the poor guy was.
I told the guys father that I would call the CG on my radio or he could call the local FD and get them to go out.
As much as I wanted to go help this guy , I would have gotten myself into a real mess.
I felt bad about not going out but I didn’t send the guy out in a small flats boat on a very bad day.
As I said I would never leave anyone in trouble and before we left PG fire or Charlotte County were on route.
Had the guy been in deeper water I probably would have gone after him.
I apologize for this being long but please make sure you are equipped and as hard as it is, make sure you are part of the solution.
Please do not become part of the problem.
Mitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know i have and will always help anyone in need. Never thought anything of it nor ever accepted anything in return. But never thinking anything of it does not go both ways. When your on the receving end you most certainly think something of it. Greatful to say the least!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Crazy year for rescues have had 1-battery jump in the middle of Oneida , tow at Sandy, tow at Ibay, tow at sodus . We can never leave someone stranded. You never know when it will be you. Props to the guys that helped!

4 hours ago, Smd said:

A big shout out to a group of men that rescued us.. after a fresh rebuilt motor lost spark 4 miles out these guys pulled in gear to help us out.. cant say enough how much they helped us out.. sorry for the lost fishing time 20180721_083501.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As a long time Coast Guard Auxiliary member I get a bigger thrill out of hooking up and saving folks or their boats! Fishing I can do any time!  Dr W  Flotilla 4-7 Should you call for help I'm coming for you under Coast Guard orders or not! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr W said:

HA HA HA landing a 35 pound salmon is nothing compared to saving a 25 foot  Vessel with 4 people aboard

You've got your priorities right:yes: We see a lot of negative stuff on the TV and news but this is the real stuff America is made from.....helping each other in need.

• Like 2