Jigging Up a Yard Long Lake Trout!

I accidentally caught a landlocked salmon once.  In the video, you can see a blip up high.  I was seeing those all day and figure they were salmon or steelhead.  They'd look at my jig but not hit.  I think those guys on Lake Michigan jig with spoons.  Will have to try that.

I get asked that all the time.  But I don't think that matters.  I get the feeling that lakers are very plentiful in LO.  I have caught them everywhere from the Niagara Bar to Irondequoit.  And they aren't always in the same places.  In general, when the thermocline sets up, go looking in about 100 FOW.  They might be in 80 or 120, look around until you find them.  I often troll as part of the search.  Target fish on the shallower side because it's easier to get those.

C’mon Pete, fair question. Can’t spotburn lakers off Sandy.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 hours ago, whaler1 said:

C’mon Pete, fair question. Can’t spotburn lakers off Sandy.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, Whaler, on this very forum I have read guys pledging to purposely cut the gills of any laker they catch because they believe that this native, naturally reproducing species outcompetes their alien, hatchery raised chinooks.  So, yeah, forgive me for feeling protective towards them.

• Like 3