Videos of trolling for Lake trout from a kayak

definitely impressive to do all of that from a kayak!

i wonder, though, if having a lake trout out of the water that long and then releasing it into upper 70 degree surface temps results in a "successful" release. Are they swimming away vigorously? When i plan not to keep a trout, i don't net it. I just grab the treble hook with needle nose pliers with the fish still in the water and that is usually successful. I don't mean to be a critic, but i've seen plenty of dead lake trout floating belly up on hemlock this summer.

again, though, way to go catching a filming out of a yak!

dre

having a lake trout out of the water that long and then releasing it into upper 70 degree surface temps results in a "successful" release. Are they swimming away vigorously?

Yea, it's a bit of a catch-22 - as an Angler Cooperator, I want to get an accurate measurment and visualize any fin clips, but also release the majority of my catches. I try to keep them in the net as much as possible and keep hands-off to avoid rubbing off their slime. If it's obvious the fish is stressed or injured, I'll keep it

When I release, I keep em in the net to see how they react to the water; can't see it in the video, but this one couldn't wait to get going, so it was a quick release - when I looked back, it was already running deep and barely visible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app