Mercruiser Trim Ram help

jigstick

When I pulled into the harbor on Sunday I trimmed up my outdrive all the way to get the boat on the trailer. I noticed the slightest bit of oil sheen coming off the trim cylinder rams. Not the ram housing. The actual stainless steel rods. 

Never had that before. The trim reservoir is full. I didn’t pull any out to look for water contamination. What could this be from?  Bad seal inside the ram itself?

Yea there are seals in the cylinders, you can rebuild the cylinders. I have rebuilt both trim cylinders of a fraction of a new cylinder. You need to look closely as there’re lots of kits simply because they made so many different cylinders. There’s the pre alpha then the alpha & alpha 1&2 then the bravo. So need to know what exactly which cylinders you have plus the number of cylinder you have. I clamped mine in the vise and spun the large nut off the rods working end and just follow the directions as you go. Hope your job is as easy as mine!!

Look up trim cylinder repair for alpha 1 gen 2 should come up with a utube vid. I used part# 87399A3 quicksilver. Mine had a big nut on the end if you have the type with holes in the end might have to make a spaner nut tool. Mercury sells a very expensive tool so my buddy used a spanner nut tool that only had 2 pins and they came off. Need to remove entire cylinder even the braided steel lines from the cylinder or the distribution block. USE A LINE WRENCH!! Or you’ll have the nuts rounded off, that wrench is cheap. Hope this helps!!

Edited by pap