new fish in Seneca?

So yet another problem for Seneca Lake?

They have the potential to irreversibly damage indigenous ecosystems.

Ecology

Rudd prefer clear waters rich in plants. They also feed on aquatic vegetation when the temperature exceeds 18 °C. They hunt for living prey in the upper levels. They prefer mesotrophicwaters, while the roach is sometimes found together with the perchin waters that are nutrient poor. Rudd appear to prefer non-acidic water.[10]

It prefers shallow weedy areas in lakes and river backwaters, where mature females lay up to 200,000 eggs on submerged vegetation. Young rudd eat zooplankton, aquatic insects, and occasionally other small fish. Mature rudd, which are about 18” in length and weigh about 3 pounds, eat mostly aquatic vegetation. The rudd can consume up to 40% of their body weight in vegetation per day, as much as 80% of which is discharged as waste, releasing nutrients into the water column. They can tolerate a wide range of temperatures and water conditions, including eutrophic or polluted waters. In the laboratory Rudd readily hybridize with the U.S. golden shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas). They come in both silver and gold, and are sometimes sold as pond ornamentals.[11]

Maximum lifespan has been reported as 17 years. Sexual maturity has been reported at 2–3 years.[12]

We have them by the hundreds swim by our dock every day, some small some pushing 10# or better. I would much rather see the carp swimming around than these. The lake is in a downward spiral the last few decades. Alewives, zebra muscles, quagga muscles, gobies and now the Rudd. What’s next

Not new to Seneca, been there for some time. I would guess their numbers are climbing. Now what would be really funny if we all gathered up a post saying they taste better than perch and there killing them at Sampson how many people we could see on the docks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I started seeing them about three or four years ago in the marina at the seneca lake State Park and caught them while fishing for panfish. In all liklihood they came up through the Seneca River like many of the rest of the invasives.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

They were sold to NY bait dealers from Southern bait farms prior to the adoption of the new baitfish regulations.  They are not a legal bait for sale anymore, but enough got dumped that they are in a lot of water bodies, many that are not connected to LO.  Clayton at the old Squidd’s Bait in Rochester had one in the freezer that was about 20” long, he caught it while crappie fishing and  said it fought as well as a largemouth. 

Ah.... makes sense. The one I caught on an ultralight rod and reel fought real well and I too initially thought it was a bass until I got a look at it:smile:

Edited by Sk8man