Downrigger wiring

1 hour ago, jmyers345 said:

Thanks I got twelve it was all I could find but I know if the wire burns up I know the problem then the amps will save the riggers so thanks for the advise

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

12ga should work, but if you feel the need to use 10ga wire, I bought my 10ga wire at Tractor Supply in Watertown for my Cannon Mag 5ST's.

Check with the rigger company.  Follow proper fuse to gage of wire.  If you under gage and over fuse you will likely burn the wires and start a fire and have to swim, all during a hot bite.  OR, you will draw too much power and the voltage will decrease which will increase the amperage through the DR motor windings and cook the motor.  Of course the manufacturer has seen this before and will recognize the issue and void the warranty.

Go find a commercial electrical contractor and beg or borrow the required wire.  Smoked salmon is as good as cash with most electricians out here, probably holds true out east also.

I fish mostly Lake Superior.  I have never seen corroded copper on a boat of mine, except the power plug for the Lowrance.  I guess the waters of Ontario are less pristine than the Gitch, but if I never launched in salt or brackish water, I would not concern myself with tinned wire.

That being said, you are correct, tinned wire is AB&YC recommended for marine use.  American Boat and Yacht Council.