New to fishing Ontario and need a few pointers. I bought a big lot of salmon gear from a guy on here and just need to know how to use it. When you guys troll with spoons do you use flasher or any other attractors? I have big magnum flashers and spinner and magnum spoons and dipseys and chinook divers. What’s the best 6-8 rod spread with two downriggers and how do you present each of them. I’ve got flies spoonds gabmlers cowbells flasher spin doctors rapals and if you can tell me the size of each of those things that work the best. Most of my experience is on the finger lakes. Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 coppers 2 dipseys and 2 riggers to start. Spoons by themselves off of flouro leader usually 20-25lb leader for kings termintated tona good snap swivel. Flys behind spin doctors and padel flashers. You can use a dodger in front of a spoon but i usually dont. Cowbells for lakers

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rtrucking40 said:

2 coppers 2 dipseys and 2 riggers to start. Spoons by themselves off of flouro leader usually 20-25lb leader for kings termintated tona good snap swivel. Flys behind spin doctors and padel flashers. You can use a dodger in front of a spoon but i usually dont. Cowbells for lakers

couldn't summarize it any better than this.  

Do you have down speed/temp setup on your boat?  If so try to zero in and get your gear throughout the temp layers concentrating on 42-54 and then reproduce when a rod goes.   Keep a log in the beginning with details of every fish as it helps to develop patterns

Don't forget about sliders on your riggers... easy way to get 2 more lines in the water. Spoons almost always without flashers, Dipseys need wire preferably but you can use braid, coppers or leadcore on planer boards. If you don't have a probe system, look into a Fish hawk TD it will give you an idea of water temps and where to start. 

• Like 2

This is also my first year on lake ontario and knew nothing about this kind of fishing untill i reached out for help back in april.  I am limited in gear and knowledge but ive been running 4 riggers with two rods on each.  One straight spoon and flasher fly on other rod for each rigger.  Ive been hitting them in 140FOw between 50-90ft down so i stack a spoon and fly every ten ft where im marking fish and it seens to work for me.  But i am a rookie with limited knowledge.  Lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

New to fishing Ontario and need a few pointers. I bought a big lot of salmon gear from a guy on here and just need to know how to use it. When you guys troll with spoons do you use flasher or any other attractors? I have big magnum flashers and spinner and magnum spoons and dipseys and chinook divers. What’s the best 6-8 rod spread with two downriggers and how do you present each of them. I’ve got flies spoonds gabmlers cowbells flasher spin doctors rapals and if you can tell me the size of each of those things that work the best. Most of my experience is on the finger lakes. Thanks guys!!!

I'd say keep it simple.  What has been your comfortable (no tangle) spread on the finger lakes?  Chances are, a very similar spread will work on the Big O

• Like 1

I’m not an expert (in my 4th season). I was told by my guru to start with 2 riggers and 2 dipsies. Get comfortable with that... deploying, redeploying after a fish and so on. Try to minimize tangles and I’ve had a few!!! Add as you get more comfortable with the spread, on your boat, when you’re in charge. Add a copper down the chute. Take it slow. It’ll come. The above post is a real good one! Good fishin, GBL.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 5

Last I was up with my daughters I ran a spoon clean off the riggers my number back is 35-40ft and a cheater 15ft off each rigger ran walker deep dipsy on a 3 setting and wasn’t long I got rid of the cheaters and just ran the 4 that was plenty enough to keep tract of, I’m not the best first mate!! As dropped a slob of a Laker right at the boat. I was as sick as the girls were.

Edited by pap

18 hours ago, Hachimo said:

This is also my first year on lake ontario and knew nothing about this kind of fishing untill i reached out for help back in april.  I am limited in gear and knowledge but ive been running 4 riggers with two rods on each.  One straight spoon and flasher fly on other rod for each rigger.  Ive been hitting them in 140FOw between 50-90ft down so i stack a spoon and fly every ten ft where im marking fish and it seens to work for me.  But i am a rookie with limited knowledge.  Lol.

Yes if i ever ran that for 5 minutes id be tangled to high hell. EspeciAlly if a angry king grabs a lower line. This is why no specific pattern will work for everyone!

I guess ive been pretty lucky with not getting tangled up. OR i just dont have enough time in with that spread to experience any severe tangles.  Although there was a time i dropped a leadcore down with 6 rods and i paid  the price for that.  Every pole wrapped in the tangle and had to cut 8 colors off the pole  live and learn. WONT  do  that again. 

15 hours ago, greenboatluke said:

I’m not an expert (in my 4th season). I was told by my guru to start with 2 riggers and 2 dipsies. Get comfortable with that... deploying, redeploying after a fish and so on. Try to minimize tangles and I’ve had a few!!! Add as you get more comfortable with the spread, on your boat, when you’re in charge. Add a copper down the chute. Take it slow. It’ll come. The above post is a real good one! Good fishin, GBL.

That's how I fished the first year I year started... 2 riggers and 2 dispeys. Still managed to tangle just those a few times too! Now I can run that with no problems and have since added a decent selection of copper and leadcore setups that I run on inline boards. Started adding cheaters/sliders to my riggers this year... baby steps and you will get there before you know it!

2 rigger and 2 dipsey has been all we need this year. We have a small boat.

When it is slow we let out the copper down the chute.

This is what happens when a salmon hit a dipsey and takes it into the copper and then lets go. 1/2 hr later of untwisting in the drive way, i still cut 40’ of copper off. Just think about a ff twisting up another line even if each rod is being reeled in.

IMG_5529.JPG

23 hours ago, Hachimo said:

We have been fortunate this year that the temp and fish have not gone deep like they usually do.  You may  have a nice wide boat which def. helps but that spread might cause problems if you fishing them all below 100ft.  or as far as 150ft of cable or more if the temp goes really deep.    I have a smaller boat now but when I ran a 4 rigger spread on a bigger boat deeper than 75 ft it was flashers on the outside spoons on the inside and I didn't send an outside flasher past the nearest inside spoon rigger without popping the spoon of the inside rigger first.    The currents can create havoc with deep lines.    I picked apart too many balls of fuzz.  I started going by those rules and it generally works.

Sometimes less is better on your riggers. Having 8 rods on the riggers seems way to cluttered to get finicky fish to commit.
2 riggers 2 dipsy 2 long lines on boards.
Scrap the coppers until you get the hang of things and use torpedo drop weights. Way more forgiving and cheaper if you tangle.
I fish a ton and 6 rods is plenty to keep track of unless you got a great side kick helping keep everything in check.

I almost always just run a 6 rod spread, 2 riggers 2 mag dipsies and 2 on boards whether it's copper, core etc. If I do want to add a couple then I run 2 more dipsies but I go standard on them and 3 setting up much higher, it gets me a lot better separation and less likely to tangle but we all know how that can go.....

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I would start off with a 3-4 rod set until you confident and running that with no issues. More rods is not always better. Big rod sets on trailerable boats can be difficult on certain days for even for experienced fisherman. Start off small
And work your way up to more lines. Make sure your set on a good troll with the current and switch your program until one rod is producing and go from therw

• Like 1

I’d strongly advise investing into getting a speed and temp probe as someone mentioned in this thread. In my opinion, it is the single most important tool to have on your boat. There have been times I’ve nearly had to idle my kicker motor to obtain speed. Only to turn the opposite direction Thinking my probe was off and immediately turned back around as the current was so strong. Fish hawk doesn’t lie. Good luck.

On 8/3/2018 at 12:47 PM, The SS-Steve"O" said:

I’d strongly advise investing into getting a speed and temp probe as someone mentioned in this thread. In my opinion, it is the single most important tool to have on your boat. There have been times I’ve nearly had to idle my kicker motor to obtain speed. Only to turn the opposite direction Thinking my probe was off and immediately turned back around as the current was so strong. Fish hawk doesn’t lie. Good luck.

:yes: :yes: :yes: