Starting over

Lost my house, garage, truck and the Sportcraft 232 GLS that Hank and I spent the last few months rigging up to a fire last week. All my tackle and rods accumulated over the last 14 years were in the Sportcraft except my light/shallow Browns stuff and  4,6, and 8 color reels all of which was in my little boat. I am super extremely fortunate that I still have my old friend 'Emily' a StarCraft Islander that I was  trying to sell. The thing that makes this kind of interesting is that I'm trying to replace as little of my crap as I can so that I don't use up my 'House contents insurance money' on stuff I just don't need.

So here's what I've gotten: A FishHawk unit, 2 riggers w/ double rod holders, 2 weights + releases & 2 stacker releases. I got an Okuma 55 High speed(HS) w/ 300' copper and put it on a cheap Okuma pro rod, an Okuma 55  HS w/ 400' copper also on a cheap Okuma pro, and 2  Okuma HS reels w/ wire for divers on 7' Talora rigger rods w/ twilli tips. I respooled my browns rigger reels w/ 30# Ande and stuck them on 4 new cheap 6'6"' MH uglistiks from Walmart.

For tackle I got 6 spin doctors in basic greens / whites, etc.. For flies I got like 5 of Tommy's and 5 of BW's + a couple meat rig combos. For spoons I got 6 Yecks and 6 DWs. I'm ready to fish!! Let's see how it goes- I'm wondering if just concentrating on these handful of baits just might make it easier to concentrate on the fish and be more enjoyable too. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by chowder
spelling
  • Like 1

Fires are terrible Andy and thankfully it sounds as though everyone  is safe and that is the main thing. Really sorry to hear that you lost so much. It also sounds as though you have a positive attitude towards a new start and that is very important as well. You'll get back in gear it will just take time and gradually putting things together in time. Keep your chin up. Sometimes new starts can produce very positive things that were unanticipated and new opportunities as well. I'm sure you have a lot of folks here squeezing for you.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chowder said:

Lost my house, garage, truck and the Sportcraft 232 GLS that Hank and I spent the last few months rigging up to a fire last week. All my tackle and rods accumulated over the last 14 years were in the Sportcraft except my light/shallow Browns stuff and  4,6, and 8 color reels all of which was in my little boat. I am super extremely fortunate that I still have my old friend 'Emily' a StarCraft Islander that I was  trying to sell. The thing that makes this kind of interesting is that I'm trying to replace as little of my crap as I can so that I don't use up my 'House contents insurance money' on stuff I just don't need.

So here's what I've gotten: A FishHawk unit, 2 riggers w/ double rod holders, 2 weights + releases & 2 stacker releases. I got an Okuma 55 High speed(HS) w/ 300' copper and put it on a cheap Okuma pro rod, an Okuma 55  HS w/ 400' copper also on a cheap Okuma pro, and 2  Okuma HS reels w/ wire for divers on 7' Talora rigger rods w/ twilli tips. I respooled my browns rigger reels w/ 30# Ande and stuck them on 4 new cheap 6'6"' MH uglistiks from Walmart.

For tackle I got 6 spin doctors in basic greens / whites, etc.. For flies I got like 5 of Tommy's and 5 of BW's + a couple meat rig combos. For spoons I got 6 Yecks and 6 DWs. I'm ready to fish!! Let's see how it goes- I'm wondering if just concentrating on these handful of baits just might make it easier to concentrate on the fish and be more enjoyable too. I'll keep you posted.

Very sorry to hear of this Andy. If you can make it up to the camper next weekend I can hook you up with some spare gear.

14 hours ago, Reel Doc said:

Andy,

This too shall pass.  At least no one was hurt.  You and your family will pick up the pieces and come back stronger. 

Hang in there,

Greg

Yep, life is like a box of chocolates ...

sorry to here about that its really unfortunate if u need a couple rigger rigger weights im willing to give you a couple i have 15 and 10 lb balls if your interested

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andy sorry for the loss of your farm. I've stopped by a couple of times hoping to catch you. I wasn't working that day but went to see if I could help with the fire. Was glad your children and dogs made it out. Horrible to see everything burn like that. If you need anything let me know I'm right up the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, lily said:

Hey Andy sorry for the loss of your farm. I've stopped by a couple of times hoping to catch you. I wasn't working that day but went to see if I could help with the fire. Was glad your children and dogs made it out. Horrible to see everything burn like that. If you need anything let me know I'm right up the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks!!

18 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Do you lake trout fish Andy?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes. Niagara river/bar w/ 3 way. Fingerlakes jig w/ plastics. And whenever I get them trolling but I only smoke the FLX lakers

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, GAMBLER said:

Do you troll with cowbells and spin n glos? I would be willing to send you some Gambler Rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Had some nice Hammerhead rigs and some Grease taps both of which were productive but alas they are all history 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:42 AM, Pete Collin said:

Boy, having a fire is my biggest fear.  Best of luck piecing everything back together.  Hope the insurance company is fair to you.

No matter how personable your Insurance company is - they are not your friend. they are in business to make the most profit possible. Unfortunately this has been a real eye opening experience. Check your coverage often and very carefully because they are not there to help you when you need it most

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chowder said:

Had some nice Hammerhead rigs and some Grease taps both of which were productive but alas they are all history 

PM me your address and I will ship some stuff out to you. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 10:15 PM, NymphO said:

Always with the helping hand !

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 8/23/2018 at 10:02 PM, lyteline said:

Hey Andy...We have two 1000' spools of 30# wire if you need it.Let us know...Zeke and Cyn

On 8/23/2018 at 10:02 PM, lyteline said:

Hey Andy...We have two 1000' spools of 30# wire if you need it.Let us know...Zeke and Cyn

I want everyone to know I’ve known these folks since I joined the forum years ago and from day 1 they have epitomized the giving spirit of LOU.

• Like 1