Trolling on Coneses anyone

Haven’t been out in over a month. Heard that surface temps were up at 82.  This likely kills the casting bite. Was thinking of maybe trying trolling for a change. Wondering if being down around (20 to 30) FOW has worked for any guy’s lately? Targeting pike, tigers or walleye. Thks and tight lines.

4th of July week I was there with a buddy and we had a big savage gear shad on a down rigger in 50’ down 30’. Had 12” steel leader on 30lb mono, the rod fired and it was by far the heaviest fish I’ve ever felt on a rod. The fight lasted about 15 seconds, a few big head shakes and the shad and steel leader were gone. Cut clean on the mono. My wall mount pike/tiger was gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Loosen those drags up...I personally have never used steel leader but the harder  you pull the harder they fight...we consistently land  40 plus inch tigers on braid and flouro with no issue.  Mind you my drags are smooth and maintained.  Or use 50plus lb braid and 80+ leader if you wanna use big lures and tighter drags to get those big hooks buried.

• Like 1

Justin, we had them set just tight enough so they wouldn’t spool out while trolling, I think it was just a monster fish the some how got a tooth on the mono even though there was a 8” lure with a 12” steel leader. The mono didn’t break it was a clean cut.

Was just gonna say that maybe there was a cut or nick above the knot somewhere. I’ll be staying up there the week of the 19th in McPherson cove. Maybe we can linkup and do some trolling. Image1533650064.886020.thumb.jpg.98455517b942a575de3120acfc1a9839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ya man definitely, send me a message and we’ll hook up. I know Conesus very well.

Was just gonna say that maybe there was a cut or nick above the knot somewhere. I’ll be staying up there the week of the 19th in McPherson cove. Maybe we can linkup and do some trolling. Image1533650064.886020.thumb.jpg.98455517b942a575de3120acfc1a9839.jpg

How did you get that bar across the top for your rod holders. I would love to do that with my new Crestliner Commander

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, NickC. said:

What’s the good word on the lake? Trolled around yesterday only for about an hour and nothing. Got a smack on a crawler harness but that’s it.

Been a bit slow for pike due to heat. lake was still at 77+ yesterday. My buddy got a 38",and a 35" trolling those large X-Raps but he puts in a lot of hours and lives on the lake. Got 2 pike last week and more 1 yesterday. Not big but decent. From what I here the largemouth bite is going strong. 

Been a bit slow for pike due to heat. lake was still at 77+ yesterday. My buddy got a 38",and a 35" trolling those large X-Raps but he puts in a lot of hours and lives on the lake. Got 2 pike last week and more 1 yesterday. Not big but decent. From what I here the largemouth bite is going strong. 

Yea seems to be the norm right now, I’ll be headed out tomorrow morning for sure trolling.