Raymarine EV 100 autopilot

rusty1034

What is it doing or not doing?  I currently have the same unit on my boat.  

The pump is working and the display is working. When I am under power and switch to the auto mode, it will not hold course, and turns hard starboard.

I did some googling and it appears as if there is supposed to be a green l e d light on the grey box controller unit. There is no green light on mine.

I checked the 10a fuse inside the controller box- looks good. I tested voltage to the box, just under 13v. When I test voltage across the internal fuse holder- 9.9v.

Thanks for asking

Rusty

Thanks dawg. That reading was across the fuse holder with the fuse removed. I didn’t test the fuse other than a visual check- looks good.

After looking closely, I can see the blinking red and green LED light on the control unit. It’s much more dim than I would have thought.

Right now I’m going to say it is user error for not all of the 74 settings correct. Perhaps I should say it’s Raymarine error for not publishing a user friendly manual.

Heading back to the water now.

Thanks again for the help

Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Make sure your ev1 sensor/ compass is secure and properly aligned and all your cable connections are good. The ev1 also has an led that should be green under normal conditions.

You could also try doing a factory reset if everything looks ok. You will have to go through the dockside wizard and sea trial set up of it again though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rusty, all good suggestions. Also, the compass being level you want to make sure no cables or wires are near it. Had a similar thing happen to me when a cable dropped on top of it from a rough ride. Made the compass go haywire. When your in auto, does the heading change when it’s over steering? Meaning does it still hold course but the pump is still running that causes it to turn? Hope ya find the cause. Techs are always helpful as well at Raymarine.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks Brian and Frogger,

The killer with this is that it’s not a new install. It was put in by Hank in either ‘17 or ‘16. A beautiful job I might add

The unit was working great until a couple of weeks ago when the positive connection to the battery became loose enough for the unit to loose power.

I will check the compass, but I’m pretty sure that hasn’t moved. Since the unit worked well prior to it loosing power, I’m of the belief that the compass is in an acceptable location.

The gray computer box is mounted in the glove box. When I looked yesterday, it appeared as if the green light was not on. I dismounted the Wall it was attached to so that I could access the wiring and check voltage. The multimeter says everything is getting the proper juice. After getting a better look at the light on the Grey box, I could see that it was on.

I did a factory reset , dockside wizard and sea trail yesterday while on the water. The unit wouldn’t ‘linearize’. 90 mins on the water, lots of turns etc. I even went so far as to leave the unit on while I trailered the boat home, still showing not lineraized.

I did a compass restart, It reads "Max deviation =188*

When I check the "compass deviation indicator" as per directions, it reads "---". According to directions that means that linearization has not successfully completed yet.

After looking at some notes I took regarding the settings of the unit, I see that -

Compass lock = off

Calibration lock = on

Perhaps the calibration lock is the issue. I'll let you know.

Thanks again- Rusty

Edited by rusty1034
add info

I changed the setting to “ Calibration lock = off”. I did a factory reset, and then towedthe boat around on the trailer for 20 min. That got the Compass deviation down to 9, which is pretty good.

The issue now is that during the portion of the Dockside Wizard (3.5), titled ‘Checking the rudder drive’, in which the unit is supposed to turn the rudder port and then starboard.

During this test it first asks “did the rudder turn to the port ?”. As far as I can tell, the ‘ rudder’ ,meaning the outboard motor ,turns to the starboard (right side of the boat if I’m facing the bow).

I guess it’s time for post on the Raymarine tech forum.

Thanks for all the help.

I changed the setting to “ Calibration lock = off”. I did a factory reset, and then towedthe boat around on the trailer for 20 min. That got the Compass deviation down to 9, which is pretty good.

The issue now is that during the portion of the Dockside Wizard (3.5), titled ‘Checking the rudder drive’, in which the unit is supposed to turn the rudder port and then starboard.

During this test it first asks “did the rudder turn to the port ?”. As far as I can tell, the ‘ rudder’ ,meaning the outboard motor ,turns to the starboard (right side of the boat if I’m facing the bow).

I guess it’s time for post on the Raymarine tech forum.

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks Brian and Frogger,

The killer with this is that it’s not a new install. It was put in by Hank in either ‘17 or ‘16. A beautiful job I might add

The unit was working great until a couple of weeks ago when the positive connection to the battery became loose enough for the unit to loose power.

I will check the compass, but I’m pretty sure that hasn’t moved. Since the unit worked well prior to it loosing power, I’m of the belief that the compass is in an acceptable location.

The gray computer box is mounted in the glove box. When I looked yesterday, it appeared as if the green light was not on. I dismounted the Wall it was attached to so that I could access the wiring and check voltage. The multimeter says everything is getting the proper juice. After getting a better look at the light on the Grey box, I could see that it was on.

I did a factory reset , dockside wizard and sea trail yesterday while on the water. The unit wouldn’t ‘linearize’. 90 mins on the water, lots of turns etc. I even went so far as to leave the unit on while I trailered the boat home, still showing not lineraized.

I did a compass restart, It reads "Max deviation =188*

When I check the "compass deviation indicator" as per directions, it reads "---". According to directions that means that linearization has not successfully completed yet.

After looking at some notes I took regarding the settings of the unit, I see that -

Compass lock = off
Calibration lock = on

Perhaps the calibration lock is the issue. I'll let you know.

Thanks again- Rusty

If autopilot is making hard turn in auto mine was having a problem with reverse polarity. Believe it or not the polarity can be changed in control pad in menu section. Mark at raymarine is amazing with these units and can talk you thru it on phone. He told me when mine acted up there were only two things that would cause that issue. Sadly I can't remember the second one. Very possible when your post terminal became loose it reversed polarity inside unit

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

42 minutes ago, rusty1034 said:

If you did a factory reset Rusty you will have to go thu the dock side wizard first thing before moving the boat either setting still at the dock or on the trailer. It will walk you thu step by step what to do and how to make the changes to the drive polarity ( rudder/outboard in your case ) direction. If it is turning to starboard instead of port as you said it will ask yes or no. select no and it will do the test again and ask you yes or no again. If yes this time select yes, and your drive polarity is all set in the computer, then continue on with the wizard.  On another note did you by chance put anything metal or move the electric trolling motor head ( I think you had a bow mount on it when I put it on ) closer to the EV1 ?  

https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/mpzvev3fdat7t2dbup61/file/23464190539

Sec 5 explains about the compass linearization being set automatically at power up, but can be fine tuned with sea trial. It has no bearing on the actual operation of the pilot itself.

Note that your system Does Not have a rudder reference so follow the set up accordingly 

Thanks Alumacraft and Hank. I went patiently through the dockside wizard.

When the motor turned starboard, and the screen asked “ did the rudder turn port? “ ,I selected “no”.

The next screen ( which I never noticed before) asked “did it turn starboard”. I selected yes.

SIMPLE !

It seems to work correctly now. Thanks to the help from all y’all.

Hopefully I’ll have a fish picture to show soon !

Rusty

• Like 1