Cayuga Cayuga 7/28

Solo trip from Dean's Cove on a nice overcast early morning.  Went South on the West side and marked fish hugging the bottom and not biting between 90 and 130, then they spread out some from 140-200 with most between 50 and 100 feet down.  With so many targets I was hoping to be busy but just slow and steady mix of smaller salmon and lake trout hitting spoons off riggers. Sk8man, you should know I used your sliding cheater recipe with some good success.  Best fish of the day was a 3 lb lake trout that hit a cheater.  Thought  it would be a salmon as fought long and hard all the way in.  Just before quitting at 10 a couple Lakers finally went after flies.

I suspect that the thermocline is setting up as before coming in I cruised out to 250-300 fow and many marks between 60 and 90 feet down.  Nothing hit but by then the sun was out and the lake was getting flat so probably not ideal timing. Minimal flea trouble today.  

Don- We've had a lot of back and forth on here about sliders (sometimes called cheater) with a lot of posts on it. Basically it is this:

Sliders are short sections of line (e.g.2-8 ft long) with a swivel at each end used to run a second lure on a single downrigger.  They can be free sliding or fixed at a certain point on your main line once it is let out in a number of ways (different types of "releasing mechanisms from use of rubbber bands to specific designed releases). . The process is basically you run out your main lure as usual and fix it in your regular downrigger release about 15 ft down. Then you attach one swivel on the end of short section of fluoro or mono (slider) with your selected lure at the other end right on the mainline and fasten the snap and let it slide down the mainline and let your downrigger down to the desired depth. The slider lure will seek its own depth and it may vary with speed and depth and weight or type of lure up and down the mainline and often locates in the bow of the mainline. Fish will sometimes come very close to the boat  or right into the prop wash to grab the slider lure (usually a spoon). This process allows you to run two spoons per downrigger rather than stacking multiple rods per downrigger. The fixed slider is usually attached with a rubber band or other desired release to the downrigger wire at a specific depth after the main lure is deployed normally and it maintains the spoon at that depth rather than allowing it to slide up and down the mainline. Either of these versions can be very effective catching trout or salmon and with a little care major tangles can be avoided. I have run them since the seventies and I use them nearly always  and they account for nearly half the fish caught most of the time.
Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

reel doc,  You should be able to catch fish all day long. If it slows as the sun comes up just push out to deeper water. As murky as the water has been it will be pretty dark down 80'.  I do like a chop on the water because it gives the spread better action. Wes

Agreed we catch all day long, change colors presentation or location...some of my best charters have started mid day and had 30 hookups starting at noon or 1

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Beautiful fish!!  This morning I threw different speeds, different colors of flies and spoons, moved from 100-250 fow and for the number of marks, very slow bite.....that said, when fishing solo and more things to do in a day, I typically try to have dry lines by 9 in the morning.  Today I broke the rule and stayed out until 10. 😉

Beautiful fish!!  This morning I threw different speeds, different colors of flies and spoons, moved from 100-250 fow and for the number of marks, very slow bite.....that said, when fishing solo and more things to do in a day, I typically try to have dry lines by 9 in the morning.  Today I broke the rule and stayed out until 10. [emoji6]

Yeah there is a difference, im a bit of a fanatic because people pay me to fish and I take that very seriously because ive been on charters that sucked and we didnt catch much or any...but in any six hour trip this year the worst Ive done is five nice fish on board, (and they lost more than 5 hookups cause they were slow on rods) the best has been 20 and we lost 10 on that trip as well. I am also running 8 lines three different methods simultaneously. When im marking and not biting I know after 3 or four solid areas go by they arent buying what Im selling so ill change out all the rigs till i get the right presentation, color and speed...i heard someone on the radio today say they had fished the area i was currently in and got nothing, 30 minutes before...i was on my third 10 pounder in the same spot at the time...but I was also on my fourth change out of lure presentations before i figured it out.. it is amazing to me how fun and productive this lake is. Truly blessed to have the opportunity

Captain Mark
Www.indepthfishingadventures.com

Agreed we are all blessed to have a great lake in our backyard.....or in my case front yard as I look down the hill at it every day!!

One of these days I will get some of the family to come along for an afternoon trip and we can throw a few more lines in the water.  I'll let you all know how it goes when we do.