Let me pick your experienced brains!

Good afternoon folks,

Let me throw something out there. If you were to make small/major changes to fishing gear you use, what would that be? If you wished someone invented a product, what would that be?

I'm thinking of starting my own line of products (think Traxstech, Cisco, Bert's). So I'd like to hear what you experienced anglers have to say.

Edit: some more information. I'm an engineer by day, web developer by night, and fishing addict in between. I think this is a valuable mix of skills. I've already completed drawings on several products, identified manufacturers in both Canada, USA and overseas.

Thanks

Edited by Sterling
  • Like 1

Sterling, invent something that removes fleas from the line, I’m not talking about a tool that you would have to use while a person is reeling in a fish, or a line that you have to add to your mainline (unless it’s a year round line)but something that cuts or removes them off at the tip as you reel. Goal, never to have to change, modify or add to your set up during the year. Invent that and you have something very valuable.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Sterling, invent something that removes fleas from the line, I’m not talking about a tool that you would have to use while a person is reeling in a fish, or a line that you have to add to your mainline (unless it’s a year round line)but something that cuts or removes them off at the tip as you reel. Goal, never to have to change, modify or add to your set up during the year. Invent that and you have something very valuable.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

How would you compare the consistency of Erie fleas vs Ontario fleas? I've only ever dealt with Erie fleas and my understanding is they're a different insect.

This is a challenging product to deliver given that it shouldn't damage the line in any way, and tests would have to take place on water. 

How hard are they to remove? Does a flicking the line like a guitar string do the trick? Do you have to use the tip of your fingers & fingernails to peel em off?

Just now, rolmops said:

And how much would you be willing to pay for original and good ideas?

A case of beer and some free merchandise once the idea goes commercial :).

On a more serious note, many people have ideas, very few can bring the execution. With great execution you can turn even a stupid idea into money. With poor execution, even a great idea can be squandered.

How about in the boating world, I’m disabled to a point, my biggest frustration is loading the boat by myself, I can’t be in the boat and hooking it to the trailer at the same time!! I was thinking of a way I could guide the boat over to the trailer from the dock, once I back the trailer in. Maybe a rope type reel I could pull as I walk over to my trailer that I could then hook the cable winch to. Then have a coil spring put the rope back on the reel automatically even if it needed 12V. To operate?? Then I could go fishing by myself, if I can’t find someone to go that day. We have autopilots to drive us around the lake but yet we can’t load a cuddy type boat by ourselves?? Even if it cost a couple hundred $$$ we send thousands to drive us around the lake on our own but can’t load a boat by ourselves?? This would make you a millionaire in a quick jiff!!

• Like 1

How about a down rigger torpedo that has a propulsion system and a probe built in, thereby eliminating blow back and extra gear hanging overboard.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 2

How about a 10 lb weight with a wing that pulls down with the force of a 20 lb weight. If it’s made correctly it should eliminate blowback altogether at a certain speed. It would take a lot of testing to get it correct. It would be speed sensitive but should be doable. How’s your geometry and trigonometry?? If you could figure out about 15 feet of blow back for 150 feet down at 3.0 mph. Down speed you could sell one to everyone that trolls.
Good luck. I’ll be your first customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

We need to get a probe that does water clarity on the market again. I don’t know what happened the first time but seems like such a great tool.

I have an old down rigger that has a probe that has something to do with water clarity and lure color. It is complete and I believe it works if your interested??? I’d sell it cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, reeldilemma33 said:

Where are you located?

I live in Kersey Pa. but im up Erie almost every weekend at North east marina.

I am someone that has a longer drive and a limited amount of time that I can commit to trolling Lake O. The one piece of equipment I would wish for would be an entry level speed probe. I dont really care about the depth or temperature I believe I can find fish regardless of that information but the speed is much harder to dial in without the probe. The $500 to $700 entry point is a tough pill to swallow. I know I can find used from $200 to $300 but then am I a few hundred in and just buying someone else's issues. I would rather buy tackle. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app