I'm assuming you are talking about an X4D.....a couple of things may apply here: your boat still may be moving in the water despite it being out of gear, and there are wicked subterreanean currents operating in the lake right now which could easily be reaching 2.5 mph down there and that would be the speed you might be seeing.

Edited by Sk8man

Fish in the opposite direction, we had these same issues also, the last time we were up fish offshore out of Henderson, we had our best hook ups were at 2.7-3.0 on the x4d. We just were at a idle to get those speeds but couldn’t control the boat due to wind and waves. So we ran to the opposite end of our troll and fished with with the current we were going 4.0 plus to get 2.5-2.7 and we did well, and then took notice that all the charter guys were doing the same thing. We were doing ok and not paying attention to the others, but once we decided to do this, that’s what the rest of the crew was doing, even though we were fishing outside of the pack.

This will be my first time using my fish x4d on lake ontario next couple weeks.Hoping with all this helpfull input we will have some luck.its been awhile.full of lake erie eyes need a change

Edited by tubby2

I experienced that this weekend also...could not troll east and keep probe speed under 3mph. I even put bags out, but they would barely open. For a second I wondered if the autopilot would work in reverse![emoji16]

Answer was already given: troll another direction. Even then, West troll, lines and riggers were laid out, and N or S rigger wires were almost touching the boat one side or the other, but it was fishable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app