Removing hardtop

longbow

My wife and I have an Avenger made by PennYan.  Excellent big water boat, wide hull with an almost perfect dead rise so it is a very dry ride in all types of seas on Lake O.  However it is a step down into boat.  What I am thinking is to remove the top, put a canvas covering over it on alum. bracing to make it more open and more of a one piece type of cockpit.  Basically raising up the roof level with the canvas top and if need be being able to fold it down for an open bow design.  Better rod visibility and just more open.  Anybody do this type of modification around here?  thanks for any and all info.

Never done it and never would do it. I don't know of anyone that would trade there hard top for a soft top. No leaks , easy to mount pulleys , search lights , radar dome, antennas , store planner boards etc. If there is anyway you can raise it ,even with a spacer installed in the support brackets I would go that route . 

Edited by Bozeman Bob
  • Like 1

I have built hardtops onto convertibles but would never remove one. A Canvas Bonnet will only last you a couple years and the Hardtop increases the value of the boat so much more. Don't raise the center of Gravity on that boat as it does not have ballast in the keel as righting momentum and may cause it to turn turtle.  Penn Yan were made before full foam flotation was required and it will sink like a rock.   For the same reason don't try adding a tuna/marlin, flybridge on the roof unless it came from the factory with it.

Don't know if you all know exactly what an Avenger model is but it is about the only PY model I know of that is step down boat.  Not quite 3' of step down into the cabin.  They use to mount a sport bridge on top of the hard top on many of them.  The hard top is like walking on cement.  These boats are wide and low slung to the water.  For a 24' boat it has a wide beam at 9.5'.  As for turning turtle just don't see it happening on a boat like this, it is in no way top heavy.  

TJ from Penn Yan Boats has taken the hardtop off an Avenger before, see the fourth boat in his listings:

http://www.pennyanboats.com/fiberglass.htm 

Maybe you should give him a call to see what you would be getting into.

Personally I have the Avenger's big brother, a Penn Yan Intruder, and I would never take off the hardtop for fishing on LO

4 hours ago, mudflat said:

TJ from Penn Yan Boats has taken the hardtop off an Avenger before, see the fourth boat in his listings:

http://www.pennyanboats.com/fiberglass.htm 

Maybe you should give him a call to see what you would be getting into.

Personally I have the Avenger's big brother, a Penn Yan Intruder, and I would never take off the hardtop for fishing on LO

EXACTLY.  love my 94 255 Intruder!

that one is for sale here locally and i remembered seeing that picture. i was thinking that the OP was referring to one of these. if it were me, i'd sell it any buy something else without that weird step-down/up. too much time and money and potential for problems messing with that hardtop. if you're a yan-fan, maybe an outrage or similar model?

If its what the picture is shown I would cut a section of the roof in the center. Put a couple hinges on the cut section and flip it forward while in use. I would put a cooler or something on the deck on each side of the center. That would funnel everyone down the center chute. Just a suggestion and something I would do before completely cutting the hardtop off.

8 hours ago, dt5150 said:

is it one of these?

image.png.bcf28e1daa8e28cde734874ba402e2c0.png

If it is that particular boat/hull it was built in several different configurations one of them being a soft top version. If any of you have ever owned or fished off one with a hard top you would understand why he wants to remove it instead of buying stock in Excedrin. Those of you that know me know I'm a bit vertically challenged ( :) ) & even for me if your not on your toes going down to the wheel from the deck your going to catch the hard top dead square in the noggin every time :(

That ain't it.  Decided against removing the hardtop.  Maybe could raise it up who knows.  But all things considered you kind of get used to it after a bit.  Except for the first screamer that takes off when you first put it in for the year.  I have drop down curtains on it and will just remove them to make it easier to see the rods.  Not a fan of doing that cause I have flies hanging off bungee cords so they tend to fly around a bit when cruising with the back curtains removed.  Also our Avenger has the center cut out of the hard top so you don't bop your head.  Other than the step down it has a stellar hull design with over sized trim tabs to really smooth out the ride in the roughest of water.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...