Diver in Chute

I wouldn’t run a wire diver down the chute. If a rigger rods fires, with a good fish . The wire could cut the mono off .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I have an extra 8’ Wire Diver rod that I’d like to consider running on the “0” setting of a Mag Diver straight down out the chute between my 2 (only) corner riggers. Safe/Effective to do or asking for trouble?
Thanks!
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Used to do it with success. Go for it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You will lose fish that rise up into wire diver but if you add a stern planer you can deploy it with out a problem buy running it as a long center . If you have a big fish on you can let it fall  back by free spooling on clicker and fight your other fish under it .

When I had just 2 riggers years ago I used to run the deep six on wire down the chute regularly and it was very productive. If we had a big fish on another rod we would just pull that rod, and it was quick and easy to do.

I did start using a stern planer this year and I love it so far. Like Hard Knox said, you can just drop it back and out of the way and your lures will stay at the same depth. 

8 hours ago, hard knox said:

You will lose fish that rise up into wire diver but if you add a stern planer you can deploy it with out a problem buy running it as a long center . If you have a big fish on you can let it fall  back by free spooling on clicker and fight your other fish under it .

I recently picked up and started using a Church Tackle Stern Planer and do exactly as you describe! It’s fantastic! I was just thinking about adding this Chute diver for another rod I the spread but, starting to think better of the idea! 

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer, really appreciate all the advice! 

Mike

The stern planers are a lot in principle like jug rigs are in thermoclining (Seth green rigs). The same thing can be done with balloon rigs as well and they have been used for years by some of us long before these things were developed. Basically they are just something to keep your long lines way back and above the other stuff such as side planers and riggers etc. These stern planers are just more hydrodynamic.....another tool in the arsenal

Edited by Sk8man

I have an extra 8’ Wire Diver rod that I’d like to consider running on the “0” setting of a Mag Diver straight down out the chute between my 2 (only) corner riggers. Safe/Effective to do or asking for trouble?
Thanks!
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A thumper rig would be something to consider rather than a diver down the chute. Same rod, reel, leader, etc but in place of the diver you run a 1# lead ball. A thumper rig will run a bit truer down the chute vs a diver and has a similar dive curve too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app