3 D gun printing

Any machinist worth their salt would be able to just copy any type of gun part and make one with a milling machine and  lathe. ( Making a quality Barrel is the hard part).  as far as just making something that fires people have been doing that for thousands of years, even using wood filled with powder and rocks for shot.  

Convicts and grade school kids make zip guns with ball point pens and rubber bands, does not mean that they wont blow their hands off doing it.  If you look at the whie Plastic single shot that they keep showing it has a barrel the diameter of a baseball bat shooting a .22 short low pressure round. may even be a CB Cap which has no gunpowder in it at all and is about as dangerous as your average toy bb gun.

Have also seen people just take a chunk of old scrap metal and a file and many hours later they made a single shot gun. Not very accurate and pretty ugly, but nothing wrong with building stuff yourself.

The CBS News media was showing a CNC Milling Machine making a lower receiver for an AR and telling people that anyone can do this.  Maybe if you have the Cash & Knowledge. I have run, programmed and repaired CNC Equip and its very sophisticated and way beyond what I can afford.

Well you can also just go buy a ready made lower at many, many stores for short money, under $49.95 but its all the other components that will set you back the big bucks.

The Real problem might be if those 3D printers start making knives in London England, The Mayor and Bobbies would just be overwhelmed.  

Anything that has a US Patent on it can be copied for Personal Use Only according to the Law.

radar13.jpg

Edited by WickedGood

I agree with fisherdude's concern. Some folks may not realize it but there is a huge market in California and other states already with people assembling guns from parts that can be bought over the Internet. apparently there are gunsmiths involved as well as other people that have just watched videos on the Internet and they are making their own guns that are much harder to trace and they are being bought by gangs and cartels for big bucks.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

I'd guess most of the people concerned about these 3D printed guns have never seen anything that has been 3D printed before. If you know the history of the company behind this whole deal, you would know they have been struggling for years to print one of these and have it hold up for more than a few shots without something breaking. The plastics used in the majority of 3D printers just can't hold up to the forces generated by a firearm.

Also anyone who is against these plans being made public has prolly never heard of an 80% lower. With only a drill press and decent jig you can have a fully working billet aluminum lower that will hold up to 1000s of rounds. The 80% lower is NOT considered a firearm and therefore can be purchased online and delivered right to your house with no questions or background checks. Every other part needed can also be purchased easily and delivered right to your house no questions asked.

My whole point is there are easier and more reliable options already out there to make your own firearm if you really want to do that. So why the big fuss over something that is more difficult to produce and much less effective?

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Like 1

Ma Bell made a phone that was pretty primitive. Looks at smart phones today . Can text talk get on the internet anywhere. Give it time terrorist groups or homegrown terrorist groups. I'll make a plastic gun that's going to work and it's hard to detect. Why should we make it easier for them to use it on us or worst yet your children.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, fisherdude said:

Ma Bell made a phone that was pretty primitive. Looks at smart phones today . Can text talk get on the internet anywhere. Give it time terrorist groups or homegrown terrorist groups. I'll make a plastic gun that's going to work and it's hard to detect. Why should we make it easier for them to use it on us or worst yet your children.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Like I said the whole point is this is very far from the easiest way to obtain a firearm. The plans are already out there, they are in every lower that has ever been produced. Anyone with a bit of time and knowledge of measurement tools can obtain them from any of the millions of these parts already in existence. These aren't top secret plans to something nobody had access to before these guys in Texas.

Edited by FishingFool34

If People Dont Stop these Crazy ideas of Using Machines to provide things, it wont be long time the Machines take over the world and no one will be able to do anything for themselves anymore. This Evil trend need to be Nipped in the Bud Now before it Grows into something that Humanity will regret for eternity. 

Here is a concept of what Could become of our future if you do not act Now!

vintage-vending-machines-1920s-1960s-10.jpg

Vintage Egg.jpg

However I may be wrong about the machine concept and everything will turn out OK, Its Not the Machines fault.

Just use it correctly and this may be the future!

( Actually I did set up some Vending Machines Full of Beer in the NAVY Barrecks years ago and they were a great Success! Had to refill them sometimes multiple times a day!  a Can of Beer for a Buck.   Outsold the Cokes 100 to 1

Vintage.jpg

Vintage Beer.jpg

The only people that gun laws are written for are criminals who won't follow them anyways.  Any terrorist who wants to commit an act of terror has plenty of options already and even if we make new laws they still will have infinite viable options.  Not too mention the blueprints are out there already...once you fart you can't put the stink back in...guns don't kill people do and this isnt going to change!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gator said:

Just one more small way our world becomes scarier. But you can't legislate what you can't enforce. 

:yes: Right on target.

Laws only AFFECT law abiding citizens. If more laws were the answer we wouldn't have illegal drugs on our streets. Gun grabbing politicians and their supporters don't need any more leverage against law abiding gun owners than they already have. No amount or degree of laws will never disarm the criminals.

• Like 1

So we went from 3D blue print legislation to the old and tired first amendment quarrel. Laws are enacted as tools to stop and punish criminals, not to pester law abiding citizens. Guns are for hunting and self defense or for sport. 3d guns will cause huge amounts of illegal weapons of very questionable quality. Just think at the amount of hands that will be blown off when those iffy guns explode. I very much doubt that the NRA likes this kind of gun production. It will endanger the financial well being of the big NRA donors, the weapons producing companies.

9 hours ago, rolmops said:

So we went from 3D blue print legislation to the old and tired first amendment quarrel. Laws are enacted as tools to stop and punish criminals, not to pester law abiding citizens. Guns are for hunting and self defense or for sport. 3d guns will cause huge amounts of illegal weapons of very questionable quality. Just think at the amount of hands that will be blown off when those iffy guns explode. I very much doubt that the NRA likes this kind of gun production. It will endanger the financial well being of the big NRA donors, the weapons producing companies.

So the government should sue the 3D printer company s ? Please explain the NRA angle other than a cheap shot.

Maybe the hands getting blown off by the users will smart’n those dumbasses who think that a plastic gun is the way. Anyone that is gun having/owning their own guns knows that their own firearms aren’t plastic. Only those who want to obtain a illegal gun will have their hands blown off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dry net said:

So the government should sue the 3D printer company s ? Please explain the NRA angle other than a cheap shot.

I have no idea why the government should sue the 3D companies. That sounds like a paranoid conspiracy idea to me.

As for my comment on the NRA. It is pure financial analysis. If 3D guns gain a foothold, the production of guns will no longer be the province of a select few. This will endanger entrenched business interests. The same business interests that donate very large sums to the NRA.

7 hours ago, pap said:

Maybe the hands getting blown off by the users will smart’n those dumbasses who think that a plastic gun is the way. Anyone that is gun having/owning their own guns knows that their own firearms aren’t plastic. Only those who want to obtain a illegal gun will have their hands blown off.

Hello Pap,

You now as well as I do that curiosity killed the cat. Guns are not toys, but 3D printers are. Many curious people will want to try to make a gun ,for no other reason than to see if they can do it.

The next step would be to try and see if they work. Probably without any criminal intent. I think that criminals would much rather own an illegal gun that they can trust to work when needed and not some amateur experiment toy. The problem about their illegality will pop up later when 3D printers will start producing high quality untraceable guns.

31 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

It’s illegal to manufacture firearms without a license. So this whole thing should be irrelevant

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Unfortunately the drug cartels, gang members, MS-13, and many of our own "citizens" view the existing laws, legal system, and law enforcement as totally irrelevant to their greedy money-gathering activities and are willing to pay huge amounts of money for guns that have been assembled from parts, or stolen and then the serial numbers removed. The gunsmiths and people familiar with the assembly of firearms do not care about the existing laws, nor are they deterred from making fortunes from the activities. It is logical and prudent to be concerned about ANY process that would further exacerbate the problems we already have but just making something illegal by legislative measures won't change things either with the massive amounts of money involved. Our incompetent legislators at the Federal and State levels don't have a clue about what to do about any of these problems. most have absolutely no actual knowledge of firearms, and usually they initiate bogus laws to pretend to be in "control" of legitimate gun owners (of which I am one) that they have access to the registry information about - and make it look to the general public like they are "doing something" about the problems....meanwhile illegal guns and criminals using them flood the streets in ever escalating numbers doing whatever they wish with those illegal firearms. 

Edited by Sk8man