Cayuga Cayuga Friday

Finally got my boat ready for the water.  I have to visit Cornell on Friday afternoon and thought that I would drag the boat along for the three hour trip and fish in the morning.  I have never fished Cayuga only its tributaries.  Fished Keuka out of a 14' flat bottom jon with a 9.9 last year flatlining.  Was thinking of launching out of Myers or Taughannock.  Looking for any advice for this rookie.  Have a 19' Blue Fin with an 85 and bow mounted 24v trolling motor with 2 manual Cannons.  2 rods loaded with braid that I want to try dipsys, 2 rods with mono for downriggers and one rod with leadcore.  Have a small selection of spoons and lots of rapalas and yozuris.  Any advice on where to go, depth, rigs would be appreciated.  Not looking to be spoon fed but I'm coming in blind and trying to learn.

3 hours ago, fisherdude said:

There's two separate Derbies this weekend things might be a little tight lip right now. Try a p/m to Lewis 863 . He's a charter captain and I hear he's the best of the best he might give you a tip or two

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What are the 2 derbies? I only know of the Barney Baldwin memorial.  Also, wrestlecoach, sent you a PM.

Hmmm not sure how to take that one, i haven’t been on cayuga long enough to have out done others here yet...but if i were you id get myself some flies in white green and chartreuse combinations Atomik are my go to rigs, but recently a friend fighting cancer has been tying some winners custom for me while he is bored at home on chemo, and some spin and glows on 8 inch spin doctors and focus on middle half of the lake between 60-90 foot deep fishing has been superb,,, if you get out and are getting skunked pm me exactly what you are doing and where ....I have coast guard aux maneuvers Friday am so ill be on water but unavailable after 9 until noonish. If you only have a little time and need to stay near Cornell troll west side north of ithaca yacht harbor 200 feet of water at depth previously stated...not the hottest spot but produced some for me this weekend on a prospect run

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Hmmm not sure how to take that one, i haven’t been on cayuga long enough to have out done others here yet...but if i were you id get myself some flies in white green and chartreuse combinations Atomik are my go to rigs, but recently a friend fighting cancer has been tying some winners custom for me while he is bored at home on chemo, and some spin and glows on 8 inch spin doctors and focus on middle half of the lake between 60-90 foot deep fishing has been superb,,, if you get out and are getting skunked pm me exactly what you are doing and where ....I have coast guard aux maneuvers Friday am so ill be on water but unavailable after 9 until noonish. If you only have a little time and need to stay near Cornell troll west side north of ithaca yacht harbor 200 feet of water at depth previously stated...not the hottest spot but produced some for me this weekend on a prospect run

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United
Nothing in the bad way Cap. Got your program dialed in put out good reports you're the man.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Trip for tomorrow is cancelled.  Looks like I'll be coming up next Tuesday.  Probably for the best as now I can bring my fishing buddy with me.  He is a disabled vet and is a ball of fun to fish with.  Took him up to Pulaski for salmon last fall and his interactions with the russians almost had me pi$$ing my waders.  He makes fishless days fun.

Sounds as though you have the right attitude coach and sometimes the best part of fishing isn't necessarily catching a whole bunch of fish:smile:

Trip for tomorrow is cancelled.  Looks like I'll be coming up next Tuesday.  Probably for the best as now I can bring my fishing buddy with me.  He is a disabled vet and is a ball of fun to fish with.  Took him up to Pulaski for salmon last fall and his interactions with the russians almost had me pi$$ing my waders.  He makes fishless days fun.
Get you some hammerhead cowbells and gambler rigs . Fished the last two day got 38 fish . Three rods on downriggers . On bottom between 80 and 120 fow . IMG_20180803_113750886.jpgIMG_20180802_111154823.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

More questions.  A friend of my dads heard I wanted to come up and troll and dropped a bunch of gear he no longer uses off at his house last night.  I will try to attach pics.  There are 2 sets of cowbells?, and4 Spin and glows with about a 2' leader, they have about 6 beads behind the body then 2 single hooks.  Also 2 4" 4/0 dodgers, a spin Dr, a brand new 100yd spool of sufix 12lb leadcore, 2 #0 dipseys and 2 that have no number but are a little bigger and about 4 rubber snubbers.

I currently have 2 reels rigged with braid.  I have three more to fill.  I have 25# big game and the lead core.  All reels are line counter.

Boat is a 19' aluminum with a manual downrigger with rod holders on each corner, a rod holder in the middle of the back, and one rod holder on each side.

My plan was to use the braided rods for dipsys on each side with a dodger and a spoon or stick bait.  What size dipsy to use? and how long leader from dipsy to dodger and from dodger to spoon?

2 reels loaded with mono on the downriggers with cowbells and the spin and glows.  How far behind the ball to the cowbell?

Last reel with leadcore in the center of the back with?  I know nothing about leadcore and hear about 3 color, 5 color, 10 color.  How should I set this rod up and what to use for bait.  Do I use the spin Dr anywhere?

Sorry for all of the questions but this is a new ball game for me.

For some reason only one of the pictures will load the rest say upload failed.

IMG_2934[1].JPG

I just fished  Cayuga  7/20-28 for first time since FLEA invasion.  We did well but were prepared for the Fleas. 

Make sure you do the same.  Lakers were at 85 over 10-150 fow, salmon and trout were at 50' in same water

good luck