First Copper Rod???'s

Hey guys I have been holding off adding copper to the mix for the past three years getting the dipsy diver program dialed in. I have been running large boards for years mainly top linies for browns and added lead core about three years ago. I now have a few general and more specific questions and would appreciate any help.

I picked up a Penn 340 reel recently and will be spooling it up with copper. I figured I should use 45# but I see that 32# has about the same curve.

Is the 45# the one I want?

One additional factor, I have 2 Okuma 45's set up with LC and may change over to 32# Copper if I like running copper. 

Should I stick to one # rating on the boat or is it ok to run some runs 32# and other 45# because of the similar depth curves?

Also I see different mfg I hear good things about several but hear/read mostly about Blood Run.

Is Blood run a good choice for a first time copper user?

I do not plan on running this out of the chute because of the layout of my boat so it will be dedicated to large board use (Super Ski's).

I was thinking of 400' putting me at 65-95' depending on speed, current, bait etc.

Will I have problems pulling 400' with the super ski's?

Also is 400 a good 1st rod or should I look at 300 for the first (Not able to run out of chute so will always be fully deployed)

If anyone knows of a backing/copper/leader length for the reel I would appreciate suggestions there too.

Thanks

Terry

Edited by tj13825

If I was going to do just one “copper” rod it would be a weighted steel (rather than copper) at 350’

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree with John. I have stopped using copper altogether in favor of steel. Copper has the tendency toward creating big birds nests. Steel doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the recommendation of weighted steel. 

You recommended 350' is that a 300' spool of weighted line 50' of 19 strand and braid backer to fill spool?

I see torpedo only has 200 and 300' spools.

Terry

Thanks guys for the recommendation of weighted steel. 
You recommended 350' is that a 300' spool of weighted line 50' of 19 strand and braid backer to fill spool?
I see torpedo only has 200 and 300' spools.

Terry

The 19 strand is one way, there’s also bulk sources for 300’+ lengths.

I have 300 foot of weighted steel with 1000 feet of 19 strand backing on a Penn 345. In addition I also run 2 200 feet weighted steel with 800 feet of 19 strand on Convector 45s with line counters.

The sink rate of the 200 and 300 weighted steel continues into the 19 strand  at the same rate.

For example :200 feet of weighted steel takes you down to 40 feet with another 200 feet of 19 strand out you are at 80 feet down. That is why it is important to use a reel with a line counter.

There are a few youtube videos about weighted steel. just google torpedo weighted steel. It shows you how easy it is to work with compared to copper.

Edited by rolmops

Hey guys I have been holding off adding copper to the mix for the past three years getting the dipsy diver program dialed in. I have been running large boards for years mainly top linies for browns and added lead core about three years ago. I now have a few general and more specific questions and would appreciate any help.

I picked up a Penn 340 reel recently and will be spooling it up with copper. I figured I should use 45# but I see that 32# has about the same curve.
Is the 45# the one I want?
One additional factor, I have 2 Okuma 45's set up with LC and may change over to 32# Copper if I like running copper. 
Should I stick to one # rating on the boat or is it ok to run some runs 32# and other 45# because of the similar depth curves?
Also I see different mfg I hear good things about several but hear/read mostly about Blood Run.
Is Blood run a good choice for a first time copper user?

I do not plan on running this out of the chute because of the layout of my boat so it will be dedicated to large board use (Super Ski's).
I was thinking of 400' putting me at 65-95' depending on speed, current, bait etc.
Will I have problems pulling 400' with the super ski's?
Also is 400 a good 1st rod or should I look at 300 for the first (Not able to run out of chute so will always be fully deployed)

If anyone knows of a backing/copper/leader length for the reel I would appreciate suggestions there too.

Thanks

Terry
Here's some reading material for you...
https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/70522-for-the-love-of-copper/

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Legacy,

That was a great write up and I have read it several times. I continue to reference great articles like this to pick something new up every time.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...