I like to start off with my probe rigger in 50-52 degree water . Then my other rigger 15-20 ft deeper than my probe rigger in colder water . Same with my dipseys. Then 2 rods above 50 degree in out of temp water. Once fish start hitting , then I know where to dial them in .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I agree . Once we r in the 2nd week of August. I don’t use my probe . I fish the marks .

Why just "in the 2nd week of August"???
Are those not fish you mark in 68 degree water in July?
How about those marks in 39 degree water in May?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Staging salmon don’t react to water temperature as readily when they are preparing to spon . They are off the feed and in sponing mode. Temperature means very little to them that time of year. When the river water cools enough and the flow is rite they will begin to run.
It’s the end of there life cycle.
They will congregate close to the river and stack up waiting for conditions to be rite.

FISH THE MARKS.

There are lots of fish outside the fleet. And it’s a hell of a lot less stressful. I’ve never squeezed in and have always caught my share.
To each his own. I go fishing to relax and have fun. Hard to have fun combat trolling.

Why just "in the 2nd week of August"???

Are those not fish you mark in 68 degree water in July?

How about those marks in 39 degree water in May?

I don’t use my probe after the 2 nd week of August till end of September. Because I’m fishing kings that are staging , getting ready to run the river . Like in this pic.IMG_2107.thumb.JPG.d0763467d611607e4b759fcd0ec21bd1.JPG

If you read my first post . You would see that I run 2 rods in 50-52 degree water , 2 rods in cold water and 2 rods in warm water .

• 6 months later...
I think Paul is saying fish your graph all year....

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thing is, I've had great days out there without marking a single fish on the graph! So I think temp is a useful reference especially for those days when you aren't marking any fish. I have had many of those days.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If the more accurate question is “where do I put my probe rigger”, then I would say approx 48 degrees. Early spring or late staging areas you may not find 48 degree water so fishing the marks on your graph trumps temp. 

• Like 1