troling fly hooks

I'm going thru my tackle and I noticed a big difference in the hooks on my files.

Some are single hooks, single treble, double single. treble & single combo,

beads, no beads, glow beads.???

What are you using? :?:

What T said. I've tied single 4/0 gammy octopus singles ahead of all trebles with 50# ande clear mono. Took me a while to perfect the snell technique but that's all I run on the flies.

Yup, huge difference!! Didn't lose a single fish last season on the flies! More than half of the time the single hook is the one lodged in their jaw. The problem with trebles is that the longer you fight the fish, the more each of the prongs work against the others to open the holes in the fish and allow a loss.

I use the "Tournament" rig: Fly head followed by the single hook (4/0) followed by 3 or 4 beads, followed by the Treble hook. I use 18" - 24" leads with 50lb Fluoro and large barrel swivels.

good point above on the treble hook, I had th eopportunity to go tuna fishing a while back and something that got me was my buddy swore by double hooks, Now granted the flies were huge!!!.

WE had a hard time getting the fish off those double hooks were barried deep. I posted a question on GLANGLER with no results,

Wonder if these hooks would work on salmon flies?

I use Owner 3x hooks. I used to use gammy's but they would not hold up on the wire rods. I don't use the singles anymore because I noticed that it took some action away from the fly. To prevent lost fish, use 2 part apoxy in the back of the treble at the meeting point of the three hooks. This will keep the line from getting stuck in there and pulling the hook out of that derby winning king.