Flea Scraper

I still don't believe there is anything that can get totally rid of the pesky critters ALL the time and in ALL concentrations but I thought I'd share what I have been using despite it not being my original idea or my creation or anything to be making $millions on.....just something to share with folks in case they want to give it a try to life a bit easier out there. I have used them and they do work....although they are not the total answer for all types of line (with mono it helps to have two people one to hold the line tight and the other to scrape; wire is easier and it is still "messy" and not real easy to keep the crap and stains off the boat either. In any case I hope it helps or gives ideas to make it better..

1. Lowes 36 inch rulers =$.98 Ruler is thicker than a paintstick and works better as a result)

2. Walmart sticky sided Velcro 4 pieces of male side $2.97 per package

3. Cut the ruler into 10 inch sections with a saw (jigsaw is easier to use and rounds the corners of the ends easier) I  have large hands so the 10 inch length seems about right

4. The velcro will be a bit wider than the ruler so cut excess off with scissors and save up the pieces for possible use on another scraper. I put the velcro on both sides for maximum use just flip over.

5. wrap some fluorescent duck tape around the handle to help soften the edge when handling and also so that is dropped overboard it will float and be visible either for you to retrieve it or if too slow oit may benefit a fellow fisherman:lol:

6. After scraping cross ways on the line the fleas clump up or drop off the scraper so just dip the flea scraping end in the water and shake it and most of the debris comes off in the water.

Enjoy:smile:

DSC09253.JPG

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Two varieties of water fleas - fishook and spiny waterfleas which are invasive organisms thought to have been brought to the Great Lakes by tankers from the Black Sea area of eastern Europe discharging their bilges in the Great Lakes and then subsequently transported or spread to the Finger and other lakes. Small zooplankton that feed on phytoplankton and other zooplankton which cluster in tremendous concentrations in the water column and cling to fishing lines clogging up the eyelets and tips of rods; often preventing them from being reeled in. They are often difficult to remove when in high concentrations ;especially the fishook variety. They are slimy, and smelly (fishy smell) and the residue from them makes a mess of boats and sometimes the stain on fiberglass is hard to remove.

Edited by Sk8man