1 hour ago, lt119 said:
I actually called they can see my boat but not at night they r going to go threw cam.and call me tomorrow but said chances r they won't b able to identify the person if they see it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A little late but for piece of mind in the future, they make battery powered led spot lights with motion sensor that are dirt cheap. 2 of those and a sign that says, smile your on camera might make someone think twice. I have one at my front door it runs for about a year on 3 d cells and is 140 lumens

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Fat Trout
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear about your equipment getting snatched. Fat Trout's idea is a thought for the future. Inexpensive & effective. I'll remember to keep your theft in mind when we're in Olcott for the Fall Derby.

This kind of stuff makes me rage!

Odds are the culprits will try to sell the gear eventually. Doubt they know what they have. They'll wait a couple months and then offload on Craigslist or whatever.

Here's what I suggest; set up Craigslist alerts for your area for any keyword matching your gear. Then keep an eye out to see if they pop up. I had an auger stolen from me years ago and was able to catch the thief that way.

• Like 1

I fish from that dock all the time. Kurt in stalker and tom in summer school park there and ive been on both there boats. It would be bad if we ever caught anybody doing crap like that there. During the salmon run we fish it a lot and are always looking for people who dont belong. What boat is yours? I would be instantly suspicious if i seen anybody unloading gear from any boat. 

27 minutes ago, Bad Habit said:

Fat Trout, Do you have any problems with the boat rocking at the dock setting of the motion sensor light? It sounds like a great idea.

Not an easy yes unfortunately.  That's a trial and error thing.   The motion sensor beam on the ones I bought is pretty narrow.   Potentially one on the doc pointing at the dock and One in the cabin pointing inside the cabin which then wouldn't go off if rocking.  my boat is on a trailer so my issues are different.

I installed a GSM security system (operates by cellular) on our boat. It has sensors on the mooring cover and cabin doors along with water sensors set between primary and backup bilge levels. I did not install any motion detectors. The alarm will go off if the mooring cover or any doors are opened.

It notifies me by text of anything that goes on including 
shorepower loss and reconnect. I can remotely access it to listen and/or use it as an intercom if needed.

There's a small red flashing LED that sits in the dash and is bright enough to glow the interior and be visible from outside.... it's unmistakably a security system. 

Cheap and easy to do! 

It won't stop anyone but neither will locks..... it just makes it a "MUCH less inviting" boat in the marina.....

• Like 1