Cayuga Jigging 8/5

Launched out of Taughannock Falls State Park yesterday morning around 6:45 am.  We did not know about the Cayuga Lake Triathlon going on, so it was much more busy at the State Park / launch than we were expecting.  Got the boat in the water and headed North on the West side of the lake.  Started marking a ton of bait fish around 75-80 FOW with some lakers sitting on the bottom.  Decided to give it a try and had the first hookup on our second drop.  Fished from 7am - 12pm and had a steady pick of lakers averaging 6-10 lbs.  All were caught on 1oz jigs with white paddletails, white tubes, and white/chartreuse paddletails.  Realized part way through the morning that they preferred a faster retrieve.  We ended up with 12 lakers, and the biggest surprise of the day was a real nice rainbow that my mom caught right on the bottom in 90 FOW (Is it normal for them to be that deep this time of year?).  She got it to the surface and as soon as it saw the boat it started peeling line off.  It put up a great fight and was fun to watch.  All fish were successfully released.

Resized_20180805_083042_5507.jpeg

Resized_20180805_105702_2325.jpeg

WTG Sean !:yes: That second fish is a beautiful male  Landlock bud. guess it will be hard to get you back to trolling now:lol:

Thanks guys, apparently i'm not too good with fish identification!

Les - I still enjoy trolling, but i sold my Walker downriggers a few months ago with the old boat.  The new to us boat has the mounting plates for Cannon downriggers which is what i'd like to put on eventually.  Just not able to do that right now financially since we just finished building a new house and buying a new car :thinking:

Launched out of Taughannock Falls State Park yesterday morning around 6:45 am.  We did not know about the Cayuga Lake Triathlon going on, so it was much more busy at the State Park / launch than we were expecting.  Got the boat in the water and headed North on the West side of the lake.  Started marking a ton of bait fish around 75-80 FOW with some lakers sitting on the bottom.  Decided to give it a try and had the first hookup on our second drop.  Fished from 7am - 12pm and had a steady pick of lakers averaging 6-10 lbs.  All were caught on 1oz jigs with white paddletails, white tubes, and white/chartreuse paddletails.  Realized part way through the morning that they preferred a faster retrieve.  We ended up with 12 lakers, and the biggest surprise of the day was a real nice rainbow that my mom caught right on the bottom in 90 FOW (Is it normal for them to be that deep this time of year?).  She got it to the surface and as soon as it saw the boat it started peeling line off.  It put up a great fight and was fun to watch.  All fish were successfully released.

Resized_20180805_083042_5507.thumb.jpeg.18dd3ca3629c9783a1c313ac2c92dc17.jpeg
Resized_20180805_105702_2325.thumb.jpeg.6e77b8f211d68c5136bf879b72c952e3.jpeg

Nice LL.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app