Motor Skips

What year motor,boat make does not matter. More info is needed. Dedicated house battery that downrigger is hooked up to ?  Drigger hooked up to same battery as motor uses . How many batteries are you using and condition of them and alternator?  Sounds like a current draw from the rigger that ends up with the engine not getting the proper volts to run correctly .

How old are the batteries ? If you take the ball off and pull some cable out, then hit the up button with no resistance does the engine hiccup ?  Sounds like you have a amperage draw that is robbing the electrical system on the engine and the end result is your " hiccup " issue

I had a starter & alt rebuild shop and we did a lot of electrical deliemias, did this just start? Most all electrical problems are a result of a bad ground which is actually worse than weak batteries with a good ground, as alternator will compensate the battery for awhile until other weak links come into play. Check ground on batteries then engine ground from battery. Then the wire supply to riggers. There could be a voltage drop to coil or points if points also the point gap could be to great and now any voltage draw could be an issue. Most people go to the main source of what they think is the issue and it's something totally different. I rebuilt a lot of starters that there was no issue. Few hours later I'd get a call and the customer says it's doing the same thing😬. Also try a much lighter weight on each rigger to start a process of elimination. Good luck feel free to ask any questions. There's no such thing as a stupid question in electrical problems. PAP.

Check your terminals at Battery. I had an issue when I hit my power trim (mercuiser) the engine would almost stall right out or change rpms when using riggers . Positive was a little loose, tightened and all was fine.

3 minutes ago, blueghost1 said:

Check your terminals at Battery. I had an issue when I hit my power trim (mercuiser) the engine would almost stall right out or change rpms when using riggers . Positive was a little loose, tightened and all was fine.

:yes: :yes: :yes: