Fished tonight from 5 to 630. Worked 80 to 140. Best water looked to be 120. Surface temp 75, no down temp. Had one on 275 back on a slide diver, no ring but it came undone. Back in the am, going to try 60 to 80 at first light if the weather holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Went out this morning in my little 15 foot Whaler solo. Set my two dipsys in 60 and took a look around. Didn’t see much inside of 100 but lots of marks at 120. I knew my time would be limited because of the inbound storm. After about a half hour the dipsy with the ring set out 275 took a rip. Ran 300 feet on the first run and had quite a battle going on. I couldn’t clear the other rod, had to work the fish and try to steer. Fish put up a great fight and I was fortunate to be able to grab the line near the boat and grab its jaw with the Bogagrip.
Fish weighed just over 25lbs. Wanted to stay out longer but didn’t like the weather I saw on my phone. Short but great morning. Image1533748084.318439.jpg

• Like 4

Awesome job there Whaler1!! Congrats to the landing without a net!! I wish to hell I would have thought of the bogo when the my daughters had that laker next to the boat, I thought of grabbing by the gill plate, but my boat is so deep I couldn’t reach it by inches!! Excited and pissed at the same time I never gave that a thought!! If you don’t use your head you might as well be an azz on both ends:lol:!! Congrats my friend. PAP

• Like 1

It’s pretty fun. The dilemma I have is once I have one on solo I can’t clear the other rod. The plastic Scotty rod holders are pretty delicate, I set the drags loose as I can so they don’t blow up when a fish hits. Running 10ft rods it’s not possible to net by yourself so on a big fish I have to take a rap and try to grab the jaw with the Bogagrip.
All the while trying to keep the boat straight.
One cool thing is on five short trips with just two dipsys I’ve had action every trip. Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

When I fish my 16 ft tin boat solo, I fish 2 divers and a rigger, and I can usually let the hooked fish run in a rod holder while frantically clearing any rods necessary. But steering the boat, clearing, and then netting...... it's chaos. and only to be attempted on a flat lake

Edited by Traveling Circus

Fishing solo can always be a challenge. When I had my 13 ft Whaler. I used to steer it with my foot or knee while reeling in fish and netting:lol:. Early on I found that using shorter rods helped out, keeping my leaders short, and having the long handled net right at the back of the boat ready to go did as well. I also hand lined in a lot of kings which is always a challenge:lol:

My rod holders aren’t strong enough. Need to figure that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
Just buy the Scotty striker rod holders they are about $ 55 each they can handle the stress of 10 foot diver rods and salmon no problem.. it's the most adorable rod holders that will handle divers. Way cheeper to buy them now then loss a diver rod and then buy them..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just buy the Scotty striker rod holders they are about $ 55 each they can handle the stress of 10 foot diver rods and salmon no problem.. it's the most adorable rod holders that will handle divers. Way cheeper to buy them now then loss a diver rod and then buy them..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol, that’s what I have. I’m worried if I leave the rod in the holder while the fish is ripping long enough to clear the other rod that the rod holder is going to blow up and I’m going to lose the rod. Image1533917128.144478.jpg