"GPS module not responding"

chowder

I have an older Lowrance global map GPS unit and I have been having an increasing number of instances in which I have no gps and get the "module not responding" prompt. Eventually it does come on but sometimes not for an hour or so. The puck is mounted on the bow of my islander. Any advice?

Check antenna connections.  If connections are OK, then good chance antenna has failed.  I went through this with an older global map.  Probably not worth buying a new antenna- find used one or go to new unit.

I just had the same issue with my older backup Lowrance.  The puck is likely failing.  Tried factory reset and software updates but ultimately it was the puck.  You likely have the LGC-2000 if it's an older one and they run about $100 used when you find them.  I bet someone here has a used one sitting around if you ask in classified.  Just check which model you have and ask...

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, srd said:

Had the same issue a few years back. Lowrance did have a replacement part. Replaced mine with the LGC-4000 and works great.

I ordered a LGC-4000. Pretty good chance I will upgrade my electronics next year but putting in the Fishhawk and the TrollMaster is it for me for now though I did make sure I left a wire snake in the hull passage so threading a new unit wont be too big a deal. I also put in a large transducer block on the transom when I mounted the Fishhawk transducer so I've got options there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Lowrance GPS pucks are notoriously bad.  Mine died after two years, replaced it and it died again.  I have been running without GPS for 10 years LOL.  I stubbornly refused to give Lowrance another dime for their crappy product and poor customer service.  I am shopping for a new fishfinder/GPS this offseason.  

What I found my problem to be is I didn't have a battery switch on my boat and wired it to my fuse block. In that case even when my GPS unit was turned off my puck was still getting power 24 7. Now have everything on it's own switch and installed a battery switch as well. All been good for 7 yrs now (knock on wood).