8-5 Skaneateles report n algae bloom.

Hey y’all.
Skn Sunday am. I fished for 2 brief hours.
Went 1 for 5.
Could a nice 20in Laker.

Had a few short hits near Lourdes camp 45-100 ft over 105-190. ...and fought a f$cking monster laker for 7-8 minutes. (I assume as I picked it up in 80 ft of water.) It took a couple runs and finally I see the fluoro leader, and 1 huge head shake later and it was over. It is always a bummer to lose a big fish, but that’s what keeps us all coming back.

When I was fishing I noticed some odd algae in the water, like translucent peas floating which is not the SKN norm. Later that morning we drove town on the boat for lunch.....and sure as **** the algae was back at the town docks. Big bummer. It was on the news yesterday and today.

Pray for wind, rain and cooler temps.

Bummer on the big laker. I fished that lake hard back in the 80 s trying to get one. Many many 18-21 inches but never hooked one of the big boys. There was something on the news about b/g in skan. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Last year the algae bloom shut down our bite, but there also seemed to be a very large perch fingerling population.  Hope to get out soon to check things out.

As far a big lakers, my cousin has only caught 2 lakers in Skan in our boat.  One 41" and one 36".  Now that is a world class average.  Both flat lining.  My biggest is 24".

• Like 1

I believe I remember that there was once one from there some time ago  that was about 30 lbs or was I dreaming? :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8man you are correct. I don’t remember the exact details but a guy and granddaughter from Moravia caught a monster couple years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Cinnamon I remember that one but their was a grandfather and granddaughter that caught another. I will try to find the article and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Those are really good ones but the one I am thinking about was quite some time ago and I believe it was 30 lbs or more. Those bigger lakers must be some pretty old dudes given that the they age slowly in general and the food supply there is not real rich. A number of the ones I used to catch through the ice had small perch or shiners in them.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

My cousin's biggest laker was caught in Dec. 2011.  It weighed only 20.5 pounds due to being a post-spawn female.  It contained a 16" laker in its stomach.  The big lakers cannibal their smaller brothers and grow to extreme sizes.  Not many in there, but enough to make it very interesting.

1214011614.jpg

• Like 2

27lb wow, a monster for the finger lakes.  I wonder what the biggest laker ever landed on a finger lake is?

Guys. I love this forum. Nice work guys on the all the recent Monstets reeled up that were publicized. I think there is a state record in one of the lakes.....somewhere. We may never get it.

I met the guy from Moravia who caught the big monster a few years back at Myers point. Hell of a nice fella.

Skn has got some monsters in it. I landed a 33 inch , 15-16 poundr about 4 years back. Got the last minute of the fight and surfacing of the fish on video. Oh how I love fishing that lake. Last fall we were casting and my bro in law got spooled. Something took his lure swivel and all the line off his reel. He was standing there like a kid who dropped his ice cream cone. Hilarious. I wanna catch that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have graphed extremely large marks in the fall near the State launch.  I presumed the were big lakers setting up prior to the spawn.  My guess is the old fish live very deep most of the time and may be night feeders as well.  Jigging or trolling large spoons down 150 or deeper would be my pattern to try an catch one.  Unfortunately, it may take years to hook one.