Newbie to lake O

Hi everyone, just looking for a little advice. I am or will be a newbie to fishing lake O. I fish the fingerlakes a lot, but have never made the trip up. Something about lake O just intrigues me. The issue is, that I have a 16 ft boat. I've fished some pretty rough water in it on Seneca and Cayuga, but nothing like what the big lake can dish out.

I'd like to pick a couple days that the wind is really calm this fall and try my hand at some salmon on the lake O. Any suggestions on launches that with a small boat I could get out to the proper depths? Also any gear suggestions for salmon? The boat is fully rigged for trolling with a gas kicker, downriggers, rod holders, garmin graph and GPS etc.

Thanks in advance

I also fish out of a 16 foot boat, the closest launch to me is Wilson, so I usually launch there. I also like Olcott and Fort Niagara. In the fall you might only need to be right off the pier heads to catch salmon depending on the time of day. I like to start in 20 or 30 feet of water in the morning and slide deeper as the sun comes up. I’ve had a lot of luck in fall out at 75 FOW fishing on the bottom. Just fish the marks on your fish finder and play with the lures until you find what works.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

20 hours ago, sstout said:

Hi everyone, just looking for a little advice. I am or will be a newbie to fishing lake O. I fish the fingerlakes a lot, but have never made the trip up. Something about lake O just intrigues me. The issue is, that I have a 16 ft boat. I've fished some pretty rough water in it on Seneca and Cayuga, but nothing like what the big lake can dish out.

I'd like to pick a couple days that the wind is really calm this fall and try my hand at some salmon on the lake O. Any suggestions on launches that with a small boat I could get out to the proper depths? Also any gear suggestions for salmon? The boat is fully rigged for trolling with a gas kicker, downriggers, rod holders, garmin graph and GPS etc.

Thanks in advance

I have fished out of Mexico on days where you could have fished 200 fow in a canoe. Just pay close attention to the weather and wave forecasts and pick your days. As far as gear goes, a simple 4 rod spread will catch you plenty of fish. 2 downriggers and 2 wire dipseys, add in some sliders on the riggers and you will be able to cover a good section of the water column. Once you start getting bites adjust from there.Goodluck!

Sodus Point - right out straight from the channel and lighthouse. Keep an eye on the weather and if it starts to blow up you can still usually fish Sodus Bay (sheltered) depending on wind direction and velocity