hauling over size boat ?

Looking at buying a used boat and was wounding just what is required in hauling a oversize boat to be legal the boat is 9ft 10 . Thinking i would haul it to Oswego and put it in a slip or leave it on trailer in secure parking somewhere each season but will need to haul occasionally .  THANKS 

Most people I know just haul and hope for the best. Make sure all your lights work and your legal in every other way. Don’t give them a reason to pull you over.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Measure the beam at the stern ,might be surprised what it is where police might measure it. You can go online to NYSDOT or google it and get a permit for about 30.00 or get a blanket permit for the year. IN most cases you will need a ton of info ,like axle and tire capacities of truck and trailer. Distance between all axles including truck and trailer. Hauling route,date  your going to do it,signage, usually they give you a 1 week window to do it. There are people that get you the forms so you don't have to deal with the state ,but they charge 100.+ ,google it for your area. My boat has a 11' beam and I pull it 40 miles twice a year without a permit,do it on a weekend morning and have a vehicle following me ,sometimes with the flashers on.  Drove past 5 police cars last year,no problem. I think they get more court time with nailing 4 speeders in a hour vs taking a up a hour to write up one overwidth load. So they cant be bothered if it looks secure and stuff isn't falling off the load.

Edited by Bozeman Bob
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 6:05 PM, Fishnut said:

Most people I know just haul and hope for the best. Make sure all your lights work and your legal in every other way. Don’t give them a reason to pull you over.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Being too wide is probable cause for a traffic stop.

You can always roll the dice and most of the time get away with it.  Would you drive around without insurance though?  If you get in an accident while overwidth and kill someone - good chance your insurance won't cover you.  That might be a bigger concern than a $200 ticket if you value your standard of living...