Cayuga 8/8 Myers.

Got to myers late hit the water at about 0830. Pulled out of the shoot and headed north right in to a severe thunderstorm. Looked like the shaldrake area was getting pounder with rain. Checked the radar and looked like the storm would stay north. Decided to set lines on the west side and head south to stay away from the rain. Set up north of the yacht club in 80' of water with 2 down riggers at 75 and another at 60. Set the dipsey on 1 and put one out 200 and another at 180. Wasn't long before 1st laker was getting netted a real nice fish about 9 lbs. Trolled. South all the way past the yacht club and picked up 4 more fish 1 more laker almost same as the first and a nice lanlock about 3 lbs. The other 2 Lakers were 2 or 3 lbs or so. All fish came on spindoctors fly combo. Spoons were dead. Did have 2 explosive dipsy hits that came un buttoned and never made it to the boat. Stayed down on the south end until about noon and it looked like the weather was going to improve. Decided to run up to kidders to get a bite to eat and then finish the day trolling south to myers. After lunch sky's looked horrible checked the radar and saw the storm was going to be worse than the one earlier so decided not to tempt fate and head for the boat launch. Made it back and had the boat on the trailer just as the sky opened up. Anyway fished for 3 hrs and spent the fest of the time running from rain. All and all a good day on the boat. All fish came on flies of either white and silver or chartreuse spoons were dead. Riggers took 2 fish and the divers took the rest. Lead was dead also. Marked a ton of fish in the 25 to 30 ft range with bait. Ran a 5 and 10 color on planer bords with nothing to show for the effort. Good luck to all tight lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was surprised. I've fished that stretch in years past and never could get anything going. The fish were good sized also. I have noticed over the last year or so that spoons are mostly dead is any one else noticing that? I have spoons that have been productive on that lake for years and any more it seems that it is a flasher fly bite or nothing. Been fishing this lake more than 20 yrs and something has defiantly changed with the amount of spoon bites in relation to flashers flies

• Like 1

The bite cycles, early season it was all spoons, then around july it seems to flip to flasher flies are more productive, also find it can be about sunlight.  Brighter sunny days my spoons hit more...I rotate through my gear when im out, sometimes cant buy a dipsy hit but riggers are firing, and i have them at same damn depth with the same rigs... usually run spoons on boards, decided to give a ff combo of colors that was hot a go on a core, slammers almost immediately.  Couldnt buy a bite on a ff combo on my riggers sunday, switched to gamblers load the boat... it is a dance to find what they want...just fishin

Agree 100 % about it being a dance. Some days they want fast some days they want slow some days white is good color some days green is good some days glow some days silver. Who knows. You think you have it figured out and it seems that in all actuality it's all just a guess. And to just think these animals have a brain the size of a pea. I keep a log of the fish I catch with depth date location and weather of the day and what I caught the fish on color fly or spoon and it is very seldom that I can come up with any kind of true pattern. I guess if it were easy every one would do it. Good luck to you Lewis 863. Thanks for the replys.