Rochester walleye

Dakota Stewart

I have had some great luck with Walleye in the bay after learning from a lot of guys on here. Nights definitely work but I’ve had luck in the day light too. Simple mister twister slowly retrieved off bottom or a bit faster in appropriate colors for the water clarity have been very successful for me. Walleye deep divers trolled along drop offs in my Kayak also work well. The black and silver deep divers I see work best and I troll along a 11 -15 ft shelf with the diver just hitting bottom once in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

Awesome guys tis the season!! The eyes will have the feed mode working now til the hard water season. Walleyes this time of the year from my experiences are quality not quantity, But I'll take them either way!!:yes:

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:38 AM, bwilson said:

Pikefreak are you on the bottom feeder?  Best boat and captain around...

...Thanks for the complement Brian.

We picked up four last evening in a couple hours, J. got this one that was over 8lbs! All fish were returned for another day.

walleye pb.jpg

Definitely go with what we call a meat rig, whether it's a worm harness or a minnow harness they want to eat this time of the year. I troll spoons but always run a scent on a spoon a super slim, or a spoon size up to a size NK28 stay on the bigger size. Scatter rap has come out with a bigger bill for deeper approaches along with their erratic left and right action, my go to lure for eye is the Berkley Flicker Minnow in sizes 7-9. I fish the northeastern part of the lake so that's what works rather well for up here, I might add we use the inline yellow OffShore boards. 1.8-2.3mph at the ball. Some days slower but not often faster. Usually start out at 1.5 mph and do long easy right to left turns and hopefully pick one up on the faster side then bump the speed up to 1.8 and continue the long sweeping turns. The turns are programmed into my kickers auto steer, which is a sweet thing. Good luck guys for me this is the best time of the year for me.

• Like 2

Hi Devo, I think the reason there are very few chiming in with tips and info may be that not many people fish for eyes on the bay? I live in Rochester but travel to Erie or Oneida to fish for eyes. I have never caught an eye on the bay so I did not reply. I have enjoyed reading this thread though. I plan to give it a try sometime. There were some old threads and posts that indicated casting sticks at night into the shallows may be effective? 

NYSDEC has been stocking 'eyes in 4 or 5 year groupings, as they do in other places like Redfield Reservoir.   There used to be a great run up the Creek in early April, but they may have been pounded by the same guys who think it is OK to snag Steelhead.  While I don't chase the walleyes myself, I know a couple of guys who do with good success, but they would stop talking to me if I revealed the secrets they have given me, LOL!   Suffice it to say, all the info above is good, just remember that oxygen levels drop off rapidly in the thermocline in the summer, and adjust your depth accordingly.

Here's what Matt Sanderson of NYSDEC Region 8 said: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/ibaycreel.pdf

DEC stocked again in 2017 according to the (not so easy to use) stocking database

That's all good info right there. There's a good population of walleye in the bay and all of the above methods will catch them. We like trolling with worm harnesses and stick baits. Casting harnesses in the shallows is an overlooked style also. 

Thanks for contributing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Biologists aren't my go to for fishing research....I used to have the DEC do a talk on Otisco and walleye at my Lou get together
and to say the don't have a clue on walleye fishing is an understatement. He asked way more than he answered! In fact the information he had was a regurgitation off the DEC website and they now have recanted nearly everything they published on Otisco.... just saying...

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1