Rochester walleye

Dakota Stewart

I didn't get it off the internet, it was e-mailed to me. It contains surveying done in 205, 2010, and 2015.  Standard techniques like gill netting and electrofishing, and comparisons to other lakes done the same way.

Must be nice to be so knowledgeable as to be able to cherry pick the data!  It does contain stocking data for the last 15 or so years, and some of the guys who actually fish Irondequoit Bay were interested in that.

What I like reading from the DEC reports on lakes where they do angler diaries is the summary data. It is pretty informative. Basically lets me know what to expect in terms of type of fish / hour of fishing invested. The old 2009 I-Bay report even reports the walleye catch specifically for night fishing. I find their reports helpful but I like to look at current reports because waters can change fast in a year or two. Maybe I will ask for the 2015 updates. Thanks for the reply Lucky13.

Edited by Stillwater

One of the biggest takeaway's from Matt's report is that there is next to no one fishing for walleye in I Bay.  DEC has stocked bunch of fish, they find the adults in the gill nets and electrofishing, but the anger surveys say the fishery is totally underutilized. 

Or the guys catching don't do diaries...or the diary guys can't catch or it's very difficult...trust me when I tell you most successful walleye anglers aren't gonna do a diary and aren't posting. There is nothing in that report that's gonna help anyone catch a walleye.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fished on I-Bay this evening with a friend. Caught my first eye from the bay around 5 pm. It was a nice evening to be out. My friend landed a monster 33 inch catfish as well. Thanks for leaving a few Devo and for sharing some of your knowledge on this forum. Good start to build on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Stillwater
  • Like 1

On October 9, 2018 at 1:00 AM, Stillwater said:

Fished on I-Bay this evening with a friend. Caught my first eye from the bay around 5 pm. It was a nice evening to be out. My friend landed a monster 33 inch catfish as well. Thanks for leaving a few Devo and for sharing some of your knowledge on this forum. Good start to build on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good job Stillwater !  What did you get it on?   

White VMC jighead and a 4" Gulp watermelon & pearl minnow. I was out there again tonight knowing the weather pattern is going downhill from here and only got a Sheep-head and 2 yellow perch. Failed to get a set on a couple of more takes. Putting the boat in storage and getting out the bow out now. Good luck if you continue to go for them.

5 minutes ago, justtracytrolling said:

While I've always liked gulp I've switched to kitech plastics for convenience and have had good results! Cheaper too

Been using the kitech in the charcoal/glitter & vmc stand up jig with the big eyes. They are 5 in a pack for $5.00 not cheap but what is if it works. Most of the time I can get a few bass on 1 piece but with the eyes it’s a 1 to 1 ratio they are so soft but that’s the best part of the kitech minnow. I have a friend that makes thousands of softbaits for his store and on-line business he bought the mold but just can’t come up with the secret recipe. LOL they work but not like the main brand. This new Ned system really intrigues me!! Especially the weedless swim type. Take care Justin best of wishes to you and family also the deer season.

I rig several rods with a variety of choices and the one with the gulp dries out if you aren't casting it non stop. Or if you out run 10 minutes it dries out, and God forbid you leave it on a jig when you are done fishing you have to cut it off. Plus the gulp stinks! Gulp goes bad if it sits long periods of time. I buy huge amounts of everything I use so I don't run out and that's not an option with gulp. Don't get me wrong gulp flat out catches but the kitech is at least as good

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

I rig several rods with a variety of choices and the one with the gulp dries out if you aren't casting it non stop. Or if you out run 10 minutes it dries out, and God forbid you leave it on a jig when you are done fishing you have to cut it off. Plus the gulp stinks! Gulp goes bad if it sits long periods of time. I buy huge amounts of everything I use so I don't run out and that's not an option with gulp. Don't get me wrong gulp flat out catches but the kitech is at least as good

Interesting.  I've got some 2-3 yr old Gulp baits and I haven't noticed any spoilage issues.  They still catch fish.

The unopened packages keep fine in a cool interior environment. Opening and shutting the tub bulk packs several times a day makes the juice begin to spoil then the package bakes till I use it again. Smells even worse than normal. The zip lock ones do the same thing. If I wasn't guiding I probably wouldn't care as much.

Out in Erie they call that rig a weight forward rig, on the same principles as a mayfly rig. Happy hooker bait shop sells both rigs. I don't have one but I could tie one up in a few days really busy right now. The weight forward rig is really popular in the western basin of Erie if you do a search or go to LEU there might be someone that could show you. I tried an Google keeps showing Erie dierys. Good luck I really think these would work on lady'O.