A bit Angry

Was out fishing in front of Fair Haven Saturday morning. Had planner boards out and had a fish on a dipsy.  A small boat decides to tuck in behind me as I fight fish sitting just of planner board following along. Then as soon as I net fish he turns and cuts straight behind me grabbing my line out on the planner board with I assume his down riggers.  This even after I had been yelling and trying to wave him off  as we fought the fish.  I ended up having  to pull all my rods and chase the guy around to save my stuff.  

Edited by rvazque2
  • Like 2

Sometimes I have to have a less experienced person steer my boat while I set/move lines among other things. I always tell them, assume every boat out here has at minimum of 1-2 football fields worth of lines dragging behind their boats. This usually gets their attention and has them asking me if we are ok anytime there is a boat within 1000ft of us.

• Like 1

Was out fishing in front of Fair Haven Saturday morning. Had planner boards out and had a fish on a dipsy.  A small boat decides to tuck in behind me as I fight fish sitting just of planner board following along. Then as soon as I net fish he turns and cuts straight behind me grabbing my line out on the planner board with I assume his down riggers.  This even after I had been yelling and trying to wave him off  as we fought the fish.  I ended up having  to pull all my rods and chase the guy around to save my stuff.  

There are a lot of inexperienced fisher people on the water That said , it gets crowded this time of year and the 500 coppers should stay in the boat. It’s unreasonable to ask other boats to give you the kind of clearance that planer boards out 150 ‘ on each side and long lines behind them. Sometimes , due to other traffic , it’s impossible to give that much leeway

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of inexperienced fisher people on the water That said , it gets crowded this time of year and the 500 coppers should stay in the boat. It’s unreasonable to ask other boats to give you the kind of clearance that planer boards out 150 ‘ on each side and long lines behind them. Sometimes , due to other traffic , it’s impossible to give that much leeway

X2. Charter or not there is only so much water (even on the great lakes) and we have to give room to allow others to fish. If you want your 4 coppers go off someplace by yourself, not with the pack of boats. I am always keeping my eyes open and head on swivel for boards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CopperJon said:

X2. Charter or not there is only so much water (even on the great lakes) and we have to give room to allow others to fish. If you want your 4 coppers go off someplace by yourself, not with the pack of boats. I am always keeping my eyes open and head on swivel for boards.

Well that’s why I was angry as I said above there was PLENTY of room for him not to do it

Fish away from the pack.... plenty of fish out there... find them... googans think a bunch of boats equals fish.....I never fish the pack

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Too much commotion puts the bite down. Salmon are spookey best to get away from the pack , long lines or not

Trouble is nets flying are a flag if you fish coppers which I do you have to have a crew that is ready to pull in the coppers to not let that happen I know it sucks but imho coppers suck but put Fish in the boat I avoid the pack but there is always that one .Boards this time of year mean coppers please stay back so my crew ain’t beeetchin at me

Fish away from the pack.... plenty of fish out there... find them... googans think a bunch of boats equals fish.....I never fish the pack

Back in the day when radio traffic was heavy I used to broadcast where I was and that I was crushing fish just before I pulled. It was amazing how boats showed up like flys at a picnic.

• Like 2

Trouble is nets flying are a flag if you fish coppers which I do you have to have a crew that is ready to pull in the coppers to not let that happen I know it sucks but imho coppers suck but put Fish in the boat I avoid the pack but there is always that one .Boards this time of year mean coppers please stay back so my crew ain’t beeetchin at me

That’s an excellent point. If you run boards and long lines at any time of year , you better have enough crew to pull boards in and perhaps long lines as well at a moments notice. Otherwise you run the risk of donating expensive tackle to the fish gods

31 minutes ago, CopperJon said:

Well that’s why I was angry as I said above there was PLENTY of room for him not to do it

Back in the day when radio traffic was heavy I used to broadcast where I was and that I was crushing fish just before I pulled. It was amazing how boats showed up like flys at a picnic.

And you were watching it go down as you were leaving the scene... priceless!!!! Lol

unfortunately there is always one guy that seems to be the issue. This year especially with the word out that the fishing is lights out i am seeing more and more inexperienced boaters that just dont get it. they see a boat and think they have to fish right next to them to catch fish. i go out of my way to avoid the packs but sometimes i think i have a magnet because there seems to be someone i cant shake. its gets frustrating for sure

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

The better the fishing is, the more less experienced fisherman will be out there with us. They just don't know any better .

Silverfoxcharters.net

My plan is loudly broadcast over the radio that SIlverfox is absolutely killing them!!!

• Haha 1

Sorry to hear. I am sure this newbie did not realize the mistakes he made when cutting you off like that.

Well, if it were up to me,  once you could see the hairy bum crack of my ass, then you are probably fishing too close to my boat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1