Cayuga with a kayak 10/12/08

I fished Cayuga south end out of Taug. Park on Sunday morning out of a Kayak. I winterized my boat way to early this year, so instead of downriggers, motor (HP) and comfort I had a kayak, one rod holder, one lead core rod (10 colors) and human trolling power (HTP). I headed out of the boat launch and started searching for a weed less area to troll. To my surprise I didnt run into a lot of surface weeds. At about 150 FOW I put on a Michigan Stinger and let out the lead core to get me down 40-50 feet. I trolled at my medium (HTP) speed for a short time till I got tired. When I started to slow down thats when the rod started to jump then bent down into the water. I grabbed the rod and started the pull and reel, Soon a 22" lake trout was along side the kayak. Because the kayak sets so low in the water it made the release of the fish simpler. I never had to remove it from the water. I fished for around 4 Hours and caught one more lake trout. It takes some time to get used to the close quarters in the kayak, but with some on shore planning your gear can be within reach. I enjoyed my outing and look forward to more kayak fishing trips in the future.

Dipsey's give more trolling resistance thru the water, but as long as your HTP is good, no reason you can't. Wire works good too. Often I will look for a boat trolling and use it to guage my trolling speed. Wind, weather and current all effect the yak'S speed. Some people use downriggers on thier yaks, but the thought of a line with a weight hanging under my yak isn't for me.

• 3 weeks later...