Greetings all! 

I run a charter boat out of Cleveland but also run many charters on Lake O.   I have noticed that it seems to take me longer to limit out than some of the other Captains.  I am pondering whether it is better to run out the big boards and run 10 lines to rake as much water as possible, or is it more efficient to find a school of bait if possible, and keep lines (4-6) closer to boat and keep running over the same bait ball back and forth.  Thoughts?

Capt. Jerry 

• Like 1

As for Ontario I run Charters as well and as the season progressed I found my self going with less rods. I run my 3 riggers, 2 wires and usually 2 long lines off my Otters. Usually coppers and I always stay with the bait or just outside of it. Haven’t had any issues for the most part

limiting out except for when the lake turns over, that makes it a bit more difficult but just a longer day. 

Thanks for that.   I run a similar program, but if i run big boards it can take forever to get back to the bait.   Some days it is difficult to find bait, so then I end up raking a mile wide pattern at a time hoping to stumble upon some.  I just added a pair of outriggers to somewhat compensate for eliminating the big boards.   As a general rule will you always drive around to find bait before you drop?  Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Big boards/outriggers don't get your copper/lead core far enough away from the boat it puts it directly over top of your divers. Here I run six to eight rods and that's normally plenty some days only for is needed. Lake Michigan was a different story I used to run 14 to 18 rods there nice to be able to run a small program

Edited by Hooked Up
Spelling
  • Like 1

Ya good point - I am concerned about that.   40 feet between coppers  isnt gonna cut it unless conditions are perfect.   I am merely trying to make smaller circles to get back to the bait when I find it.   

I fished three rods monday was plenty

It was late 730

I always was a fan of circling when i had a matue on

Back then in the 90 ,2 rods was plenty

The old silver horde chasing dodger squid combo 

Setup

20180812_223532.jpg