Fish in the river!

Looks like it has been laying dead on the bank for a day or two.  There is always an early run on the Salmon River.  The part I don't find believable with this photo is, the Salmon River had flooding in Pulaski the other day and I read reports of the River being muddy.  The water looks clear in that photo.  Maybe it cleared a little quick??

• Like 2

Interesting. It has seemed to me that things in general out in the lakes have been a couple weeks behind all season thus far, and I know the 20 lb female king we got the other day was just starting to blacken up a bit and when examined internally had 6 fresh 5-6 inch sawbellies in her stomach (so still feeding) and the skein and eggs were still firm and quite a ways from being ready. .

• Like 1

I watched a bunch of radar shots from that rain.  A lot of the heavy stuff was on the lower half of the river it seemed and not as much up toward the upper or lower reservoirs..  The Pineville gauge went up but not that much....150 cfs or so.  The river clears really fast unless you get the upper tributaries pumping mud and flowing into the reservoirs like that.    A number of years ago the upper res. took a 5 inch rain hit in july overnight on a moderately full reservoir  and the river went up to 5000 cfs (normally 185 in summer). 

Don't think fake news is now just hitting the fishing world...the fishing world probably created the fake news phenomenon been around ever since fishing was a thing. 

• Like 1

Andy Todd of OMNRF reported a run of about 250 matures in the third week of July in the Generaska.  There have been strong runs in the Salmon River before Labor day in past years.  I just came back from a week on the Tug hill, and spoke with a captain I know in Richland.  He said they are getting a lot of dark empty fish mixed in with silvers.  The tributaries were running clear except in the bottom of deeper holes.  Last Tuesday's rain was very localized, and had no effect on the river above 81 from what I saw going up last Wednesday and coming back yesterday.  The rain Friday night likely had more of an effect on SR flows than the flash floods of Pulaski on Tuesday. 

• Like 1