Latest Development on the Chautauqua Lake Herbicide Issue

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the follow-up article to the above article which has all the details of the Article 78 that the Chautauqua Institute has filed against the town of Ellery, NY and the NYS DEC. They make some very strong points. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of the Oct. 4th hearing will be.

http://www.post-journal.com/news/page-one/2018/08/chautauqua-institution-files-lawsuit/

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I like chemicals/pellets being used to kill the weeds like they did this year.  However, I can definitely tell you that our best 3 trolling years on the lake, out of about 20 years, are 3 years that the lake had the fewest weeds. I know it's not a coincidence.

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I don't think I like chemicals/pellets being used to kill the weeds like they did this year.  However, I can definitely tell you that our best 3 trolling years on the lake, out of about 20 years, are 3 years that the lake had the fewest weeds. I know it's not a coincidence.

I have heard this same thing said about Waneta Lake. But one or two years here or there is not an good indication of what the future of a fishery will be after many years of killing weeds. The reduction of weeds forced more of the muskies to roam open water in search of food and maybe for other reasons as well, making them easier prey for anglers. It would also force the forage and other game fish species to do the same. Since muskies are the apex predator, they would be able to survive longer, and maybe even thrive better with the easy prey they will have available, including stocked muskie fingerlings that will have no place to hide. Muskies would be the last species to crash after all the other species. Weeds are needed to support the natural food chain. Using herbicides will not remove the nutrients from the lake and likely will cause more algae blooms. And it will only get rid of the weeds temporarily, including the good weeds.

From the input I've received any weed control chemical or mechanical hasn't effected Chautauqua's fishing. I wouldn't worry about buddy just got em last wk. Unlike Waneta they didn't knock out all the weeds (at least in the north 1/2).

Nice fish Ivan. 

2015 was our best year ever from the opener through fall. I have had the fewest number of trips to the lake this year so my 2018 numbers are down. Wish I had been up more after hearing from Ivan. Plan to be up a few times over the next month. 

17 hours ago, NPike said:

From the input I've received any weed control chemical or mechanical hasn't effected Chautauqua's fishing. I wouldn't worry about buddy just got em last wk. Unlike Waneta they didn't knock out all the weeds (at least in the north 1/2).

Without the public resistance and their inability last year to raise enough funds for all of the treatment areas that were approved, there would have been more widespread areas treated. They are working toward treating more in the future and the company that does the treatment (and is also advising the CLP and the towns) will work to increase treatment acreage as much as possible. They are not as much interested the health of the lake as they are in the health of their bottom line. We can't be complacent about this issue.

Edited by muskiedreams

9 hours ago, old man said:

IMG_1133.JPGthis shot is a fishing hot spot map I bought over 20 years ago. It talks about different spots that are treated annually and bi annually and spawning areas that are off limits to treatment. I’m not smart enough to have a valid opinion,I’m just pointing out it’s nothing new.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On the contrary old man. At the time that map came out they may have been doing some treatment, but the last time before 2017 that herbicides were use in the lake was 15 years earlier in 2002 (70 acres in Burtis Bay). Before that, in 1992 there was some herbicides used but I don't know how much or what chemical. I also am not sure but there may have been some done in 1991 and1990 after the 1990 SEIS was completed by the DEC. I saw some references without detail that the DEC used herbicides between 1955 and 1959. And that the Chautauqua Lake Association used herbicides between 1960 and 1992 with no details of what years, what chemicals and how much. I do remember reading somewhere that copper sulfate was used in the early years. That chemical was later determined to be very bad for the environment and it caused problems with the lake's environment. I also don't think those time periods above meant that treatments were done every year.

• 1 month later...

Here is the first news I have heard since the hearing date has passed. It looks like  it has been delayed by motions. One by the Town of Ellery, asking for the venue to be changed from Erie County to Chautauqua County. There may be considerable influence in their favor that way. The article also mentions a motion from the CLP (Chautauqua Lake Partnership) but they give no detail about that motion. Also I don't think the CLP is named as a party in the article 78 so I wonder if a motion from them can even be considered. It says something about the e arguments in the  case being pushed back to Nov. 14th but I am not sure what that means.

The article is mostly a political article giving the viewpoints of two local rival candidates for the state assembly. So those of you who will be voting in that election might want to let the candidates know how you want them to address the issue. It sounds like they are both catering to their biggest campaign contributors and think that the problem can be fixed quick by throwing a lot of state taxpayer money at it. It would be interesting to find out how much money Solitude Lake Management (the company that will profit from using the herbicides) has contributed to State political candidates campaign funds.

http://www.observertoday.com/news/page-one/2018/10/assembly-candidates-agree-on-need-to-eradicate-invasive-weeds-algae-blooms/