Owasco Owasco Lake fishing.

This Sunday morning I took the family pontoon boat from our cottage for a quick fishing trip. Armed with 300 and 200 weighted steel wire, but without any electronics whatsoever. I did not even know my speed. All I had to do was going to known honey holes and in barely 2 hours I ended up with 3 lakers 1 brown and 3 rainbows. I kept one nice 4 pound  rainbow for lunch. It struck me that Lake Ontario tactics for lakers in Owasco do not work. Instead of very deep fishing, steep drop offs and land point extensions are the ticket. It was good to see that the rainbow and brown population has recovered to where it was 30 years ago.The lake does not have any lamprey,which does help a lot. It's fun not to have to worry too much about the waves and the weather and even more fun to catch a nice rainbow 100 yards off shore right in front of the cottage with my landlubber family staring in disbelief that such big fish even exist in the lake. They thought that rainbows only exist in Wegmans stores.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cinnamon fish said:

Nice work.  How are the fleas on Owasco?

Fleas? What fleas? Not a single one. Just please clean your boat  of crap from other lakes before you launch so the lake stays clean.

I don't even bring my Ontario rig to Owasco , just so I don't bring in anything bad. It is great not to have to deal with gobies or lampreys. Zebra mussels are in it ,but quaqua mussels are not (yet). The small fingerlakes are becoming unique in their lack of invasive species. Please do not spoil them.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, rolmops said:

Fleas? What fleas? Not a single one. Just please your boat clean of crap from other lakes before you launch so the lake stays clean.

I don't even bring my Ontario rig to Owasco , just so I don't bring in anything bad. It is great not to have to deal with gobies or lampreys. Zebra mussels are in it ,but quaqua mussels are not (yet). The small fingerlakes are becoming unique in their lack of invasive species. Please do not spoil them.

Great to hear.  Yes, I always wash the boat prior to switching lakes.  Appreciate the info.

• Like 1

Great report rolmops. Great results, especially for no electronics.
I was there last week and did some trolling for trout on a few days.
I never got out early for the prime time and caught just 1 laker. Unfortunately I found the fleas to be pretty heavy.
One day we went for perch and did well. Great fish dinner.

I was trolling spoons for trout in the 40 to 50 foot range on dipseys.

Glad you did well. We're you using spoons?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app