auto pilot vs bow mounted electric

scobar

What I have: 19' Lowe deep V aluminum 115 cable steer with 8hp kicker, older electric bow mount, 24V.

Looking to get some help on what direction to go. I'm leaning to the bow mount setup. I would believe you lock the 8hp to go straight then use the bow to steer. I'm not sure if you need the main motor to help as a rudder, assuming it would be locked straight with the bow pulling it along.

I also like to Garmin TR-1 gold but I do believe a pulling to steer system would be better than a pushing system.

So asking for advice on this topic, and if I do go bow mount I would like a unit that I can interface with graph, will be upgrading the graph as well. Looking to stay in the 24V system as this is what I have now and 3 batteries are plenty on 19'

thanks

Scott

I’ve got the 24v terrova on my 18ft Lund.. I just keep the kicker straight on a lower speed and steer with the bow mount,I leave the trolling motor around setting 6 auto pilot when I’m setting gear then when everything’s set I get the kicker up to speed and just turn on the trolling motor when I steer job makes life a lot easier setting gear but only thing is I get about 4hrs on it if it’s on auto pilot mode if it’s constantly running. If you bass fish and troll would recommend it but if you mainly use your boat for trolling then the garmin might be the way to go.. 

I had the same debate a couple months back and I ended up swapping out my 24 volt power drive 72 I pilot link for a 36 volt terrova 112 with I pilot and do exactly as you mentioned. I found I didn't need link as I never used any of the features that are link specific like following Contours. this is on a Crestliner superhawk 1850 .I was worried about the weight of the additional battery  but I haven't noticed a difference in handling or speed at all FYI . I have a tie bar linking my Kicker and my main so I just basically set the motor straight with the kicker on a low speed and then steer using the trolling motor whether it's manual or using autopilot or following an I track. In big waves/wind  I can get about 6-7 hours out of the batteries before they start getting low. in calm Waters I've gone for 10 hours and still had half of my battery life left according to the meter on the trolling motor. I have no complaints but I don't think you would have enough battery life for this to be a viable option on a 24 volt system. not the cheapest way to go either.  I know a lot of guys either love their garmin's or have nothing but problems with them

I had the the 24v and put 1500 hours on it trolling and worked ok but I couldn't really run it over 50% or it didn't last long enough for my trolling trips. I have the 36 now and I have probably over 1500 hrs on it and it goes 7 hours easy at up 70% . My pontoon has 5 batteries and I fish up to 5 adults and myself pulling boards and riggers with a dozen rods and on flat water I can troll all electric 3-4 hours. The bow mount will definitely improve your boat control and tracking. Not to mention auto pilot can't steer so you can land a fish easier or slow the boat a little to net... complete control out of your seat.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I have a Terrova 80 24V with 72" shaft on an 18 Pro starweld.  Great setup.  I've run 8 hours without issues on batteries.  I only have to put it at 3 to 4 or 4.5 on the power scale.  I have the remote clipped to my waist.  I only use the Terrova for direction.  I mainly adjust with the gas motor and put in the yamaha VTS switch to help adjust that as I'm not running a kicker.  I'll pump up or down the Terrova a little to get in between speeds when the adjustment in the gas motor is to much or too little.  I couldn't care less if it was connected to my fishfinder.   Another key thing I like when I'm trolling for kings is I when I have a king close to net (either solo or with someone) I can take the main motor out of gear and have the full back end open without fear of prop or something else.  I'll pump up the trolling motor a little more and all is well. I have the back or sides at my option.   My trolling spread stays intact but there is no issue working directly out of the back

I also use my bow mount to steer and lock my 5 hp in place. In order to save battery power, I added a larger plate to the keel of the electric motor and steering is done without thrust most of the time. I use thrust when turning back into the wind and the auto pilot on my unit keeps me headed where I want . I have 4 batteries on board my 18 fter, 2 for starter and I’ve drained one using my electronics more than once, just an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you fish Ontario primarily and fish rough weather or have a heavier boat I'd go with auto pilot. For a multi species application on an aluminum boat you can't beat a bow mount. Battery life isn't an issue once you figure out how hard you can run it for your length of trip....just use more throttle on your kicker. Doesn't take a lot to steer if you aren't in 3+ footers.

Anything over 2 Footers or so depending on the wave period has my 72 inch shaft motor out of the water briefly but not enough to affect performance but my 60 inch shaft was pretty much worthless in anything over two to three Footers spending less time in the water then out of it

Edited by FishnChef

Another thing to keep in mind is the lift assist on the new terrova models.  In a decent swell the lift assist does just as it was designed to.  It helps the waves lift your terrova into the air and the slams it back into place.  Whatever engineer designed that awful spring loaded piece of junk needs to lose thier joh.  Way to screw up a good thing.  If u are unfortunate enough to have one of these new junk designed motors make sure you have a bungee chord or something on hand to strap the head down into place to keep your $2000 investment functional in the swells.

I would like to add to all the above advice which is good stuff, as I use my trolling motor to steer  with the big motor locked straight , but to be sure I always have enough battery , once lines are set using the trolling motor  , turn it off and troll as you normally would have and when a fish hits I hit the remote on my bow mount that takes over while Im reeling and netting , dealing with fish , and resetting lines.

At least until you figure out how long your batteries will last.

1 hour ago, iiwhistlerii said:

Another thing to keep in mind is the lift assist on the new terrova models.  In a decent swell the lift assist does just as it was designed to.  It helps the waves lift your terrova into the air and the slams it back into place.  Whatever engineer designed that awful spring loaded piece of junk needs to lose thier joh.  Way to screw up a good thing.  If u are unfortunate enough to have one of these new junk designed motors make sure you have a bungee chord or something on hand to strap the head down into place to keep your $2000 investment functional in the swells.

a lightbulb just went off in my head when you said that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner but this is an issue I'm experiencing. Only had the motor out 4 times but haven't been able to pinpoint what didn't seem right but that's exactly it. I was wondering how was 72 inch shaft was coming out of the water so easily and that sometimes when I went to steer the troller it took a second to engage. Thanks

I've got a 24V Terrova on the bow of an 18' Crestliner and love it for the autopilot and the spot lock features......It does not "auto-deploy" and I've not had any problems with it in the 4 years I've owned it. Battery life is 6+ hours when trolling, and that's plenty for what I've typically got in mind. For deep water perch fishing, spot lock is the "nuts" 

24 minutes ago, FishnChef said:

a lightbulb just went off in my head when you said that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner but this is an issue I'm experiencing. Only had the motor out 4 times but haven't been able to pinpoint what didn't seem right but that's exactly it. I was wondering how was 72 inch shaft was coming out of the water so easily and that sometimes when I went to steer the troller it took a second to engage. Thanks

Junk awful design flaw that minnkota really should issue a solution for.  Lift assist is a joke that causes lots of issues with a tiny benefit.  Sad u have to modify the terrova by removing the spring in the assist box or strap it down with a buggy cord to make it functional for a serious angler that isnt scared to shore by a 1' chop.  No way they field tested this junk.

I have a 105 lb 36v motorguide xi5 on a 21' Mako and I can't say I have any of the issues you guys are talking about? I have never had my battery die ever while trolling with my kicker, the only time I have had low batteries was trolling only with the trolling motor for walleye on a day I started at noon and quit at 1:00 am in 20mph winds while trolling 1-1.5mph. I have it linked to my hds, I can run tracks and trails, anchor for perch, and oh yeah I fished Saturday on Lake Ontario during the small craft, sure you have to go with the waves when it's rough but you would be with any other kind of auto pilot too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You guys gave a lot of positives on this, I’m going to go bow mount, now I just need to decide 24 or 36 and manufacture. Having 24v now with my batteries stowed nice helps, but you know how we all are, bigger is better!

I have a 17' Legend with 80 Xi5 and use 2-27 series deep cycle batteries. Absolutley love it. I have it networked with my 2 lowrance HDS units. You can fish in waves that is impossible with a rear only trolling motor. The back sets your speed and the front pulls you to keep you no the path line. I pick a point an my mapping and push go to button then you set the % of power you need to keep on course. Normal is about 23% as the waves and wind increases I have gone up to 50% in 30" waves. There is a bit of a learning curve to it but once you get used to it you set it and don't turn it off till the end of the day. Never had issue with batteries. I use the turn function all the time 6 lines in including to plainer boards and never have fouled lines. Just set it for max turn of 820' and no problems. No human can keep you on course like these units can. Fishing is a lot more enjoyable when your not untagling lines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scobar said:

You guys gave a lot of positives on this, I’m going to go bow mount, now I just need to decide 24 or 36 and manufacture. Having 24v now with my batteries stowed nice helps, but you know how we all are, bigger is better!

I'd say go with the 24V.  I'm running my 18' boat with a pair of 24 series batteries.  They have been fine.  72" shaft or your wasting your time.   Even then however as some folks have said, you get over 2' ers going into it and yeah its not the best.  However there's a certain point where with a smaller boat (ie < 20') you're having trouble steering with > 2'ers going into it anyway.   For those marginal occations I accept the bow mount is limited.  For the size of boat it really does provide added functionality.   

For those who mentioned the lift asssist.  Yeah that sounds like it sucks.  My Terrova is a 2015.  Locks in like a champ and is awesome.

Battery life is a simple matter of how hard you run you tm and how many amp hour batteries you have. Turn it up most of the way and let it go... batteries will die! Put 6 big guys on your boat and see how hard you have run your tm for responsive steering. Keep your bow up with 1 or 2 guys and your boat will steer no prob. Fish that 20 mph into the wind and see how hard you run that tm. If I already had a lowrance unit and wanted to link I'd go with the motorguide as well, but I prefer my birds. Another thing to think about is the new Minn Kota that was just released has a built in transducer available that will support chirp and the mega down imaging instead of universal sonar.

Minn Kota also has the ulterra that deploys and stows automatically. Also has powertrim. I'm going that route next...didn't dare last time, but they have been out 3 years now and I know several happy owners... certainly wouldn't get power assist after hearing about that.

I have both set ups on my 18 foot lund. 24v terrova with ipilot and raymarine ev 100 auto for the main motor. I like the terrova for small lakes or at very slow trolling speeds and the ev 100 for salmon fishing. Main motor is a 90hp Mercury with smartcraft tachometer with rpm adjustment.

When i bought the boat i installed a 24v terrova with a set of group 31 batteries. Used it on its own for spot lock feature and trolling. As i progressed into fishing lake Ontario more and kings specifically I was using the terrova for steering while pushing with my main motor. the big motor handled the chop better than the electric alone.

I might be in the minority on this, but I found that i didnt like dealing with the remote on the terrova for course adjustment. I always have a buddy with me on the big lake and i hated handing off the remote if i was busy with a fish. I just prefer the console mounted control of the raymarine and not having to deploy or bring in a bow mounted motor in choppy waters. One less thing to deal with.

I love having the versatility of both systems, but if i was doing it again and could only afford one it would be the raymarine. I dont cast enough anymore to justify needing spot lock and found my personal preference is to use the main motor for trolling. I find myself using it more and more, even on the small lakes while the terrova is just along for the ride.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app