Quick Seneca Update 8/19-8/20

So this is my first time on the lake and have spent the last two days fishing out of Sampson. Figured I’d give a quick update since the south wind is ripping up the lake today.

Fished both sides of the lake both north and south of camp. Fishing between 80-160FOW using riggers set between 40-70’ and wire divers out 200’. My results have been OK, best bite seems to be the morning. Havnt turned a rod between 1-5pm.

Only one small bow on the riggers on a hammered Sutton 61. All the other fish have been on the divers with green/black spoons.

Best down speed seemed to be 2-2.5. Lots of smaller (and some larger) debris in the water, fleas seem to be denser on the NE side than the W. Also reeled in some serious vegetation when I wasn’t paying enough attention.

Question 1: why can’t I buy a rigger bite? Tried both short and long leaders off balls as well as spoons.

Question 2: any color or speeds to key in on for RT and LL? Feel free to PM

Question 3: any tackle shops to visit in the area in between wineries? [emoji51]

Photos of the two Lakers we got yesterday. Wife’s PB laker and a brute that fought hard and had to be responsibly released to the cooler. Grilled in foil in a basil vinaigrette.

IMG_0636.JPGIMG_1343.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Tackle Shop Brewer's Sporting Goods right on Main Street in Ovid (south of Sampson on 96A. Pam Brewer is great lady and has a lot of relevant tackle for a small shop. Sells bait as well. Worth a visit:smile: Wineries south of there (e.g. Wagner Vineyards right south on Rt#414). If Pam has any Great Lakes lures left get some Oakie Dokies for lakers and some 44's for the silvers. Also, if she has hammerhead cowbells and Gambler rigs  they are the way to go regardless of which lake you fish. If you are in the mood to drive a bit while exploring wineries, or take the boat when out there Roy's Marina to the northwest of Sampson near the north end of the lake has the cowbells and Gambler rigs. There are outstanding wineries on the west side of the lake...my favorite is Fox Run and they have a cafe there as well.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Haha Nice! I’ll drop a line shortly, hopefully I don’t interrupt dinner. [emoji51] With the weather and my Thursday checkout I may try and fish Cayuga instead on the way home.

Also, Boundary Breaks was the last stop for the wife and I. Grabbed a few bottles and we are enjoying them here on the deck. Stopped at Brewer’s in Ovid per Sk8s advice. Pam was epically nice to talk to and it was a cool little shop. They don’t make them like that these days. Picked up two Great Lakes spoons and a few MI stinger colors I didn’t have. Only one okie dokie on the rack and I wasn’t confident in the color so I left it. In retrospect I should have bought it, such a unique spoon.

Thanks to everyone for chipping in with advice. Hopefully the lake lays down tomorrow and I can get out. 🤞🏻IMG_0654.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry I missed you! Ask for kees the vineyard manager next time, always got time to talk fish! My favorite flx Dodger 20180821_194709.thumb.jpg.5b63b5a2000db3f1d60d2f9f4316d698.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks man. It was pretty busy in there so I wasn’t looking to throw anyone off their game asking for fishing tips LOL [emoji23]