Repowering

Ndebona

The time has unfortunately come that my old evinrude is down for the count. I’ve looked into getting it repaired and for the amount that it would cost as well as the hours on it I’m going to just retire it. I’m now open to options of what to replace it with. The motor coming off now is a 1996 evinrude 225 oceanpro sitting on the back of a 1995 proline sportsman 240. I’m looking at going to a four stroke the same size or larger as the boats rated for up to a 300. From what I’ve read so far I’m leaning towards a Suzuki 300 but not dead set on anything yet. I’m curious as to what other people have repowered with or currently running and what they like and don’t like about their engines.

In 18 years my Yamaha 115 has never missed a beat.Boats not here so i do not know the hours.

I changed the timing belt for the first time this year,changed the oil and filter annually .water pump every 4 years.

I run the cheapest gas I can find.....     Runs as good as day it was new.

I have a Suzuki 9.9 not that it compares to your main engine but its a quality engine. works as it should, looks good runs great put together well. almost cant hear it running. but im not sure there small engines and their large engines are made in the same place.  

This day and age I don’t think there’s a bad engine, I would base my decision of what dealer is closest, what dealer is the best to work with and price.

The G2 Etecs are impressive but I’m not a Evinrude guy.

The v8 Mercs have serious potential

Yamaha, Honda’s and Suzuki’s have a great reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of these newer engines are great, but they also have some very sophisticated electronics and not everyone will be capable of working on them if there is something of concern. Depending on where you live I'd try to get one with a dealer as close to home as possible who can work on it if need be, and be in compliance with warranty requirements. Initially buying a motor just to save a few bucks may end up costing a lot more in the end, and having to travel large distances to get servicing isn't great or cheap either:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

I dock in dexter, abay is fairly close and there’s a marina there for just about every motor under the sun so dealer service isn’t much of a worry. I’d do all the general maintenance I can but I’m sure there are some required service intervals they’d like you to fallow that would require a trip to a marina.

The time has unfortunately come that my old evinrude is down for the count. I’ve looked into getting it repaired and for the amount that it would cost as well as the hours on it I’m going to just retire it. I’m now open to options of what to replace it with. The motor coming off now is a 1996 evinrude 225 oceanpro sitting on the back of a 1995 proline sportsman 240. I’m looking at going to a four stroke the same size or larger as the boats rated for up to a 300. From what I’ve read so far I’m leaning towards a Suzuki 300 but not dead set on anything yet. I’m curious as to what other people have repowered with or currently running and what they like and don’t like about their engines.

All good comments and suggestions, one thing to consider and maybe you already have, value of your boat to your investment. As you might already realize, new motor isn’t cheap and putting it on a 95 year class boat takes you out of any future payback if you ever wanted to sell it. Might be your boat to keep for life however and that’s great. She’ll love that 4 stroke on her. I tend to agree with buying a brand that can be serviced close to home is huge. Good luck. Show us a pic when you have her on.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe that the horse power rating for a 1995 boat is at least partly based on engine weight. 2 strokes do weigh considerably less than 4 strokes. Before deciding on a larger 4 stroke engine you might want to consider finding out what 4 stroke engine your boat is rated for. An engine sales man is not the right person to ask.

• Like 1

Weight is a factor I’ll have to consider, I’ve tried looking up a max weight rating for that transom and couldn’t come up with much. I might have to contact proline and see if they still have records going back that far. I know the current engine is around the 450 mark and I’m also currently running a 9.9 Mercury on the transom as well and that’s about 100 with the bracket. That would probably have to come off to help accommodate the extra weight.

The weight and horse power restrictions on boats are decided upon by a set of calculations provided by the US coast guard. If you google information about backyard boat building you will find these calculations in he coastguard backyard boat building manual. Insurance companies use these regulations when they work on claims. So your boat insurance agent should have the information you need as well.