Hull difference

Duckman1

Yes, about 4 feet difference. Also a different weight distribution with much less weight on the tongue , which would make for an interesting drive. In order to drive safely you must have at least 80 pounds of weight on the tongue

It is not a good idea.

Edited by rolmops

10 % to 15% of your hull weight should be on the ball. So if the boat weighs 4,000 lbs. you should have at the very least aprox, 400 lbs. on the tongue. The big question is what is the GVWR of the trailer ? That figure will tell you if you can carry the boat within the law.  The GVWR is also the total weight of the trailer and boat combined. Some trailers will give you the carrying capacity which may easier to figure out if you don't know the weight of the trailer. The odds are it wont work unless the trailer was oversized to begin with. Probably going to need a tandem axle trailer and surge/electric brakes which you might not have on the 18'.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

10 % to 15% of your hull weight should be on the ball. So if the boat weighs 4,000 lbs. you should have at the very least aprox, 400 lbs. on the tongue. The big question is what is the GVWR of the trailer ? That figure will tell you if you can carry the boat within the law.  The GVWR is also the total weight of the trailer and boat combined. Some trailers will give you the carrying capacity which may easier to figure out if you don't know the weight of the trailer. The odds are it wont work unless the trailer was oversized to begin with. Probably going to need a tandem axle trailer and surge/electric brakes which you might not have on the 18'.
Thanks guys. The trailer will not work

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

You absolutely need a tandem with brakes on that boat.  The only exception would be if you are just going a short distance to the ramp and thats it.  Even then, as already commented, its dangerous if you don't have enough tounge weight.  I learned a long time ago I want more trailer than I need and definitely not less than I need.

I disagree with the need for a tandem setup. The 22 foot sylvan is made of aluminum and weighs less than 3000 pounds even if it has an I/O.

So a good single with surge or electric brakes will do fine.

2 hours ago, rolmops said:

I disagree with the need for a tandem setup. The 22 foot sylvan is made of aluminum and weighs less than 3000 pounds even if it has an I/O.

So a good single with surge or electric brakes will do fine.

OP never mentioned what brand boat he was buying. He may have inferred that it was another Sylvan but we don't know for sure. Secondly I wrote , PROBABLY .  Also what Dusty wrote was correct about extra weight being carried and safety. How much gas does it hold ? 60-80 gallons at 7-8 lbs per gallon along with a couple batteries . I would never tow a 22' er with a single axle, aluminum or glass.