When fishing boats and sailboats disagree

Interesting situation... I'm not 100% fluent in the navigational rules, especially with a sailboat under sail being involved. If they were both power boats the fishing boat has the right of way in that situation. But a powerboat is required to "give-way" to a sailboat under sail... but a sailboat is required to "give-way" to a commercial fishing vessel. I'm pretty sure that is how it supposed to go, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I guess technically it comes down to if that fishing boat is considered a commercial fishing vessel? Sure seems like the fishing boat should have given way to the sailboat as sailboats almost always have the right of way vs powerboats.

Edited by FishingFool34

48 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

I can't get the video, but if a sail boat is over taking anyone, THEY need to change coarse. I don't care if it has a motor or sail.

Silverfoxcharters.net

:yes:

Interesting situation... I'm not 100% fluent in the navigational rules, especially with a sailboat under sail being involved. If they were both power boats the fishing boat has the right of way in that situation. But a powerboat is required to "give-way" to a sailboat under sail... but a sailboat is required to "give-way" to a commercial fishing vessel. I'm pretty sure that is how it supposed to go, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I guess technically it comes down to if that fishing boat is considered a commercial fishing vessel? Sure seems like the fishing boat should have given way to the sailboat as sailboats almost always have the right of way vs powerboats.

That’s the watchword “ commercial fishing vessel “. A boat trolling for salmon on Lake O is not a commercial fishing vessel. It’s a recreational vessel. It must give way to a sail boat under sail. The only time it is the stand on vessel is when the blow boat is overtaking from astern the blow boat is the give way vessel the text in the video said it was a charter boat. Which makes it a recreational vessel

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

I can't get the video, but if a sail boat is over taking anyone, THEY need to change coarse. I don't care if it has a motor or sail.

Silverfoxcharters.net

I had this situation on the lake Monday.  Rag boat was coming right up the stern side of use.  He just about ran my otter boat over.........

The other thing that happens alot is the sailboats leave the sails up and then run the engine,    once they start moving via a motor they are now a power boat and must yield right of way to the boat on the right and any other rules that govern power boats.

11 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

That’s the watchword “ commercial fishing vessel “. A boat trolling for salmon on Lake O is not a commercial fishing vessel. It’s a recreational vessel. It must give way to a sail boat under sail. The only time it is the stand on vessel is when the blow boat is overtaking from astern the blow boat is the give way vessel

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yup I agree with that, but this was Chesapeake Bay. That could have been a tuna fishing boat which I believe are considered commercial fishing vessels. We also don't know if that the boat was actively fishing at the time or just underway... that could possibly change things as well.

On shore an emergency vehicle must take action to avoid an accident even with active lights and sirens. Speeding, running red lights and stop signs are not lawful even with lights and sirens when an accident happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The right of way means nothing if there is an accident . All vessels must take action to avoid an accident. Failure to take action is even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
I can't take too much action if someone is coming up my backside ya know? What if I forget left then he turns left or I go right and he turns right? Sure I can try, but wtf.

Silverfoxcharters.net

7 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:

There are many incorrect facts in this

It is not a vessle engaging in commercial fishing it is a vessle fishing with limited ability to mauver due to nets or trawls 

Edited by bandrus1

Auto pilot 101 ,unless your tapped into radar collision avoidance someone should at the very least be on look out. Saw a picture on thehulltruth of a 60-70' recently do the same thing to a Forrest Gump boat, luckily no one was seriously hurt. Had before and after pic of 70' it WAS a beautiful sled. I think they were trying to beat a timed weigh in and were hauling the mail.

14 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

There are many incorrect facts in this

It is not a vessle engaging in commercial fishing it is a vessle fishing with limited ability to mauver due to nets or trawls 

That's one incorrect fact... "many" would be the number of spelling errors in your response lol.

Like I said I'm not 100% fluent on the rules, I prefer to just avoid any and all potentially dangerous situations by acting first and long before there is any concern. I appreciate you correcting my error though :yes:

Edited by FishingFool34

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

That's one incorrect fact... "many" would be the number of spelling errors in your response lol.

Like I said I'm not 100% fluent on the rules, I prefer to just avoid any and all potentially dangerous situations by acting first and long before there is any concern. I appreciate you correcting my error though :yes:

I didn't want to be a jerk but I can point out others in that post if you like