When fishing boats and sailboats disagree

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, Silver Fox said:

I can't get the video, but if a sail boat is over taking anyone, THEY need to change coarse. I don't care if it has a motor or sail.

Silverfoxcharters.net

I don't think the sail boat was trying to overtake. I heard the captain of the power boat wasn't looking and slammed into the sail boat. My guess is the autopilot was on, and the captain was busy attending to fishing lines, not paying attention.

18 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Like I said, I can't see the video. I can think of a couple Captains that do the very same thing and get too close to me.

Silverfoxcharters.net

careful Scott, one is a Mod and the other is Chads dads best friend, you are treading on a very slippery slope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

I don't think the sail boat was trying to overtake. I heard the captain of the power boat wasn't looking and slammed into the sail boat. My guess is the autopilot was on, and the captain was busy attending to fishing lines, not paying attention.

Maybe " attending " beers ,but not fishing lines unless he was trolling at 20 + mph.. Pretty hard to end up on TOP of another boat at trolling speed, even trolling at Marlin,Tuna etc  preferred trolling speeds, Most Captains will not attend to fishing lines on there way back to port,. That's a dockside project, if your insinuating he was not trolling but at speed and cleaning up broken tackle on the way back . And if he was headed out the gear should of been all set before leaving the dock, just saying.

• Like 1

I was trolling erie one trip. saw this large sail boat off to my right. the direction he was going it looked like we might get close. so I adjusted course to my right. everyrhing looked good. I looked back a few minutes later and the sail boat had went to his left which put us back on a collision course. so I turned back to my left putting me on course to be gone when he got there. a few minutes passed and I looked again. now he was bearing down on me and closing fast. it didnt matter which way I turned he adjusted course towards my boat. when he finely got to me we had to use our hands and push off on the side of his boat. I have never even come close to hitting a sail boat before or after. it didnt matter which way I tried to go he ended up almost sinking us. what else could I have done except maybe pulling rods and turning around and going back the way we came.

Carry a loud air horn and don’t be afraid to use it. I’ve had to use mine on more than one occasion. It does seem like they use you as a waypoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Bozeman Bob said:

Maybe " attending " beers ,but not fishing lines unless he was trolling at 20 + mph.. Pretty hard to end up on TOP of another boat at trolling speed, even trolling at Marlin,Tuna etc  preferred trolling speeds, Most Captains will not attend to fishing lines on there way back to port,. That's a dockside project, if your insinuating he was not trolling but at speed and cleaning up broken tackle on the way back . And if he was headed out the gear should of been all set before leaving the dock, just saying.

Sorry, should have clarified. Not trolling, but getting tackle out, rods down, etc.